Two Worn Corners and a Weird Little Wedge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Worn Corners and a Weird Little Wedge

Heavy rain and a deeply plowed field exposed tons of flint deposits this year. This weekends picks are two very used corner notch points. The little one appears to have a deep flake scare. The uniface scraper has finely worked edges and is razor sharp. Both stones are polished, but the tiny wedge seems unusual enough to post.

Very nice artifacts.

Can't believe all that flint is just showing for you....you can hunt sitting down?

California

Comment

The lithics from your area are killer! Love the corner notched ones.
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Good Hunting!
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Good weekend. That is a lot of debris!
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Whippoorwill
            Whippoorwill commented
            Editing a comment
            My guess is over 100 acres of highly concentrated deposit running up and down the Whippoorwill Creek in South Logan County. There is no doubt that this strip of geography may have been inhabited by a lot of folks for a long time. Maybe thousands of years. But as mentioned, I believe the nodules were brought upstream from the North Fork of Red River in large quantity. I believe most of the human activity in the area was Ancient. I will try to find some articles to post.

• gregszybala
            gregszybala commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, look forward to seeing those.

Nice finds. Congrats man
          SW Connecticut

Comment

Nice finds Whip. I have a place like that also that when conditions are right is rife with debitage, heat treaded waste flakes and flint chips for hundreds of yards. I believe it was a camp from late Archaic until late Woodland. That is a darn good spot you have there and it will give up finds for years to come. Its just so encouraging when you are seeing all the right signs and you know its just a matter of time...my spot is under 2 feet of wheat right now...
            The chase is better than the catch...
            I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• Whippoorwill
              Whippoorwill commented
              Editing a comment
              Awesome. These are rare places that, like you said, will keep revealing a bigger story. We as a nation have a responsibility to tell the story as our view of history is very distorted. I am blown away at the total lack of archeology as a profession. It is truly a dead profession.

I would go cross eyed trying to find a point in all that flint. You can walk a mile barefoot in the fields down here without stepping on a single rock so usually when ya finally see a piece of flint it is almost always an artifact of some sort lol. I couldn’t imagine looking through all that flint there. Actually I would probably still be sitting there looking through every single flake. That’s a good spot ya have there Whip!
            SE ARKANSAS

Comment

• Whippoorwill
              Whippoorwill commented
              Editing a comment
              Don’t think that doesn’t go thru my mind Art. LOL. You have to hyper focus.

Nice whippoorwill....I know exactly what you are talking about... like the finds....that rain has been a killer but I'm sure working well on those fields
            Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Don’t know how I missed this post glad I got to see it. You got some good ones that day. I’m waiting on posting my finds you guys are killing me 😃
              NW Georgia,

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
                Lindenmeier-Man commented
                Editing a comment
                It’s easy to miss some, there are so many posts. I need more time to read and look. I’m missing out...

• SurfaceHunter
                SurfaceHunter commented
                Editing a comment
                I didn’t find anything worth one post just 2 points and scrapers
            Working...
            X