Just found on lunch break!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just found on lunch break!

Unfortunately not my find today πŸ‘Ž My hunting Buddy at work beat me to it today!
    Warren County New Jersey

Dang..... What is wrong with some people, bad enough that some get to hunt at lunch but to beat a coworker to the prize.
    Nice find!

Comment

Nice one there. I have seen many from the east made from that material.
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

I would break his leg It would give you a advantage. Whaa do you guys tag team the time clock to give the other a few extra minutes of hunting?
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

I’m just going to have to learn how to make my own and put them out to throw him off lol
          Warren County New Jersey

Comment

Do you know what you have there? I hate identifying artifacts when the fellow already knows what he has.
            http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

No sir neither one of us know exactly what it is and I haven’t had any time to look it up yet. Please feel free to post any identification information you have anytime I post something. Again not to sound like a broken record but being new to this I have very limited knowledge and any information you can give me will save me hours of research and I don’t have a ton of time for that. Thank you in advance and again for the past information
              Warren County New Jersey

Comment

I want to work where you do!
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

What you found is a Piney Island point, made from chalcedony. It falls into the Late Archaic series of points, and can be confused with Poplar Islands, Bare Islands, and the Piedmont series of points. These however are almost always made from quartzite, diabase, argillite, rhyolite. Chalcedony was rarely used for these types, but from your area, the Piney Island is found and commonly made from chalcedony, but also quartzite, and the non silica materials. The tapered shoulders and squared stem is a common trait for this type. It's still Late Archaic, and ca. 1200 - 2500 B.C.
                  Last edited by pkfrey; 07-29-2019, 05:31 PM.
                  http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                    SurfaceHunter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You can help me anytime I usually just guess and see if it sticks with the crowd πŸ˜ƒ

Awesome I was wondering what the material was. Did by chance you see my β€œThis morning’s find” post on Saturday? Just curious what your thoughts are
                  Warren County New Jersey

Comment

• pkfrey
                    pkfrey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I don't think I saw it, but I'll look and let you know.

• pkfrey
                    pkfrey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    OK, I found your post. The first one is again, a Piney Island, and looks like Carbon Co. chert. Notice the tapered blade, tapered shoulders, and squared stem. Is that the same point in the other photos? And the jasper piece has rind on it, so it looks like a thick flake that was taken off a cobble to produce a core, which would then be reduced by removing blades.

I just found that point on Saturday morning but I do have one or two others that I may have posted pictures of, I will have to check my old posts and see what pictures I posted
                  Warren County New Jersey

Comment

Excellent point, and excellent information from Paul!
                    South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                    X