Another Beauty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Beauty

Ontario Canada find..one of many that I've found...but the one is real nice in it's polish and bit work. Click image for larger version

Name:	resized 6.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	388290 Click image for larger version

Name:	resized8.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	388288 Click image for larger version

Name:	resize2.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	388289

Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Museum quality , congrats ! Thanx for the show !
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

That’s a nice one thanks for sharing it.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Do you think the material might be Hematite? I have found one like it and have always wondered
          NW Georgia,

Comment

• clovisoid
            clovisoid commented
            Editing a comment
            For what it’s worth, hematite is almost twice as heavy as a similar volume of granite. It’s not up there with iron, but it’s not too far off.

I always thought I had a hematite celt, until I held a couple of much smaller hematite artifacts at a show. Most people are surprised at the weight when they first pick up a hematite plummet or cone.

• WindWalker
            WindWalker commented
            Editing a comment
            Funny you should ask. I have several of these celts that are this same colour and rock material. Over the years I have asked multiple people and have been told diorite, gneiss and basalt. I posted the other day on a rock and mineral forum after a renewed interest and was told diabase ( dolerite ) from a member there. I have two hematite celts as well. I believe that I read somewhere that hematite was a difficult rock to work with as it fragments easier and therefor was more difficult to finish a complete stone. One of my hematites is crude along the sides and pole, but with an exceptional polished perfect bit. The other is fairly intact. Both are small however. I might pose the same question on this forum at some point .

That is exceptionally well made, the original maker/user took some pride in their craftsmanship.

Congrats!
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• WindWalker
            WindWalker commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed..I think of that person often and hope they know that its well loved and appreciated.

That's a piece of art. I would probably carry that thing around with me all day just to look at it.
          Central Ohio

Comment

• WindWalker
            WindWalker commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol . I have close to 80 personal family finds and this one is special for sure. I am ashamed to say that I have put this one under my pillow in tough times and frequently bring it with me on trips to the cottage. Got to the cottage last night for 1 last week of vacation and yes ...I brought it with me for the week lol
            It has a strong vibe to me and I cant stop picking it up. Im glad everyone is loving like I do. I have quite a few more exceptional finds...Ill have to post more seeing as people are appreciating these.

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            Too funny! Said in my Diabase response “you should sleep with it under your pillow.” Now, read this, and know that you do! We all do have the same malady, don’t we?

Thats one beautuful artifact...congrats
          SW Connecticut

Comment

Real nice one.polished gem- Looks like the hammer end shows some old wear/use.

Comment

Wow! I’ve only found pieces of one that nice.
              Fayette County, southern Illinois

Comment

Mine is the same color and looks like the same Celt as in design and craftsmanship. Found mine in Georgia it’s a early Woodland poll Celt
                NW Georgia,

Comment

• WindWalker
                  WindWalker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  would love to see it please.

• Okie1
                  Okie1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Me too.

• SurfaceHunter
                  SurfaceHunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Tomorrow

Sweet find
                Wyoming

Comment

Hey Northern Neighbor, I have several celts but none as nice as that. Beautiful!!!
                  Michigan Yooper
                  If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

That is incredible, and like LM said, museum quality! Congratulations on that incredible find!
                  "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• WindWalker
                    WindWalker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    thank you

Click image for larger version

Name:	E965879F-D1A1-4528-89E8-2935AA7D1DEA.jpeg
Views:	198
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	388353Yep, amateur rock hound concurs from the pound. You should sleep with that under your pillow.
                  Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Working...
                  X