No announcement yet.

Tell Me I'm Crazy and Move On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's exciting to see newbies begin to learn to look for the work on tools and the right kind of rock to knap instead of "rocks". I was lucky to have a well seasoned collector in the hole with me when I dug my first chips, tools and broken points. Once someone shows you in person you will never forget. I remember being shown a ground base on a paleo point... all one had to do is feel it with fingers compared to the upper sides.
    When you get these things down your finds will go up exponentially! Keep up the excitement.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Concentrate on what flaked stone artifacts look like in your area. 99% of the artifacts any of us find are flaked stone, be it a point, a scraper, etc. Those are the vast majority of artifacts we all find, regardless of experience level, and learning the lithics used for flaked stone in your area, learning where artifacts are found in your area, getting permission from landowners to search areas appropriate for finding such artifacts, are all part of the learning curve. Your photos show you are not focused on flaked stone. You need to start there. Other classes of artifacts, many of which are the same regardless of what region they are found in, will come in time. But first concentrate on understanding flaked or chipped stone artifacts from your region, what they look like, and the type of stone or lithic used in their production. As Tom mentioned, having a mentor can really speed things up, although that may be far easier said then done.
      Rhode Island

Comment

I suggest looking online for a artifact show coming to your area. Walk and talk to some other collectors at their tables. Ask questions and find the people displaying their finds in frames. Find out who is local to your area. Maybe you will be lucky enough to find someone that is nice enough to take you along on a hunt and become friends. That’s what I did and learn from them. It can really change your outlook on what you are finding. The ones you have posted box them up and when you get to finding the real artifacts go back and look at these. It will be a real eye opener. True story cause it’s my story. I have a nice collection now, Good Luck
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Parallel, I’m ahead of you in the contest to find rocks that are shaped like pictures shown in books and “fit in hand nicely”, but have never been knapped. Clearly, you have done research, and as a professional researcher on other subjects, I recognize your efforts. But these “older” fellas truly know of what they speak, and sometimes, preach. You’ve gotta get ahold of some knapped artifacts, and I mean that literally. Touch them (you’ll end up fondling them), look at them (you’ll end up transfixed). An incredible opportunity to do just that was very recently gifted to me, and now, I know......

The county in which I look has very little chert (Southern flint), which is most knappable lithic. Regardless, and only by fortunate default, have I found two quartz arrowheads. (Quartz is not knapped, per se, but chipped, which is whole other thread subject). Find a mentor, find some artifact arrowheads to hold in your hand, and your awesome journey is gonna take the “right” fork. If you pass me, pat me on back!

Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Working...
          X