Modoc Bow circa mid 1800s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modoc Bow circa mid 1800s

I wanted to share this with you guys. This was the first in my collection..given to me as a child . Obtained by my ancestor from the not so distant past Johnny Jack. The story is he traveled from the tri state area in the 1800s to the west coast... I dont know much but he was an adventurer..and he found some gold too ..lol there are many more items in the Johnny Jack Collection. Thanks for checking it out.
    North East Pennsylvania / North West New Jersey

Also, the bow could be much much older .. I have no other information... it took me a very long time to identify it..

Comment

It’s beautiful .. I don’t know anything about this but someone here will chime in ...With links and vast knowledge

Comment

Every one uses compound bows . Yes we hunt with guns in Nov but I am determined much yo my husbands distaste . I am getting an old fashion bow period ! I will master it ..

Comment

• willjo
          willjo commented
          Editing a comment
          You need a primitive bow with some flint tipped arrows

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          If not contrary to our mentor and friend WillJo’s advice, modern knapper might knap tip type and lithic of your choice! How special would be! Bound to get buck before Husband with that kind of blessing!

Thank you Tam 😁👍 I appreciate it!!

Comment

How long is the bow ?
          Lubbock County Tx

Comment

42"

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
              Lindenmeier-Man commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s about the correct length. Most NA people were left handed, or by that I mean that the hand tools were fashioned for left handed use.. Your bow would be for ambidextrous use...

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              Why fashioned for left hand use?

• Lindenmeier-Man
              Editing a comment
              Cc the bow was fashioned for left or right handed use..

Nice piece
            SW Connecticut

Comment

• Shydaman
              Shydaman commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you very much !👍

Thanks for the information.. i did not know that .. it makes sense !!!

Comment

Good post choice, Shy! ...After all, bow provides power which propels the object of forum’s namesake, the Arrowhead.....
              Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Beautiful bow!

>>>Lindenmeier-Man commented: Most NA people were left handed, or by that I mean that the hand tools were fashioned for left handed use<<<

I’m curious to know what source you are relying on for that statement. This is an area of interest for me and, as far as my research goes, not supported by the evidence. There have been quite a few studies based on both analysis of hand tools and from interpretation of hand-drawn art. There have been more studies for Eurasian people than for Native Americans, but the consensus is that the evidence for North America’s ancient population does not demonstrate that “most NA people were left-handed”.

What it does show is that left handedness (including ambidextrousness) was more common than it is today. Perhaps as high as 1 in 3, compared to about 1 in 10 for the modern population. In later times, there are also observations (to some extent supported by folklore stories) which suggest that left handedness carried some stigma (as it does in many parts of the world) to the extent that it may have been actively discouraged. For example, multiple reports by Europeans of seeing NA infants whose left hand had been strapped to their cradleboard, while the right hand remained free.
                I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
                  Editing a comment
                  I don’t know if it applies across the nation, the last statement of the hand being strapped to the cradle board may demonstrate that the use of the right hand may have been preferred .

• Lindenmeier-Man
                  Editing a comment
                  I should of said “Here! “

• painshill
                  painshill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The consensus from the (fairly extensive) evidence base is that it doesn't apply across the nation. As I said, the evidence suggests only that left handedness (including ambidextrous individuals) was much higher than it is today and may have been as high as 1 in 3 in ancient times.

Myths from my parent and his were left handed was bad luck. I’m left handed but use both hands. I was punished if I used my left hand as a child. I find most left handed people have high IQs not saying right handed don’t. It was a bad omen to have a left handed child back in the early 1900s
                NW Georgia,

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
                  Editing a comment
                  That’s true, my wife is lefty but was often punished for it, at home and school. She is Blackfoot..

• SurfaceHunter
                  SurfaceHunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My grandmother was Cherokee my dad’s mom

The theory about the Native Americans being left handed is something I have wondered about as a lot of the tools we have found seem to be made to work better in a left hand but we have always felt they were probably ambidextrous. If you think about it they would have been required to use both hands way more so than modern humans do so they were probably pretty handy with either hand.
                Wyoming

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
                  Editing a comment
                  I’ve often wondered if trying to put down a large animal with a flint tipped spear , dart , or arrow that the best spot would be from behind on the right side. A left handed throw or arrow placement would be preferred in the liver from behind the rib cage. I’m thinking the NA people were very aware of anatomy. As with every heart beat up to 25% of flow is to the liver.
                  I Also think the NA people used their feet for much more than we do today.

• Cecilia
                  Cecilia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I work all bathtub controls with toes! Too bad coordination doesn’t extend to whole body...
                  Last edited by Cecilia; 10-24-2019, 02:30 PM.

Not to stray away from the original post so I have to say that’s a fine looking bow
                NW Georgia,

Comment

Thank you Surface Hunter!!! I'm not sure what's goin on in here ... the post went off into "left field" some time ago..lol

Comment

Working...
                  X