Camp Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camp Site

A photo from my recent hunt showing gopher mounds where I find artifacts . This camp covers multiple properties the gophers do the work . Click image for larger version

Name:	PC020091.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	329.9 KB
ID:	407928

If you hadnt of noted them as gopher mounds....id thought for sure they were cow pies......looks like a pretty cool spot.....the gophers do the hunting for you?
    Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

• south fork
      south fork commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes they push the sharp rocks out .

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, that’s a lot of burrowing! Ever since saw prairie dogs Tx, read about them, gophers, chipmunks, ground squirrels. That looks like township! Think real sociable group, so probably ground squirrel, coz gophers loners.
      .........geez, I need getta life.....

That's awesome.

I always check gopher activity hoping they'll kick something up.

So far, nothing but a few flakes. Though I did find a nice point in a hoof-print once.

Curious how close your site is to a water source?

California

Comment

• south fork
      south fork commented
      Editing a comment
      On the north side are springs and on the south side is spring fed year-round creek . On the north side is the camp I call Tilly's Hill were we have recovered Thousands of points and artifacts . The camp with the gopher mounds I call the Elders Camp which has given up a lot of surface finds over the years .

Nice to see they are digging them up for you. We have gophers but I haven't really ever found much by their holes I always look though.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

I have only found one point pushed up out of the ground due to critters. There must be quite a few artifacts under the surface for this to be a regular occurance. You can't dig there like Tilly's Hill?
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• south fork
        south fork commented
        Editing a comment
        The Elders camp is a different parcel just south of Tilly's Hill I don't have permission to screen . But its loaded maybe more so than Tilly's Hill also both camps are just a few miles north of the Apple Hill site . All of these camps are slowly being destroyed by development .

That place must be loaded if the gofers are pulling them up for you. I have always checked around groundhog holes bet never had any luck.
      keep on keepin after

Comment

Around here, it's said that fire ant hills can contain artifacts, but I won't stir up the heathen devils!
        South Carolina

Comment

The largest piece of a potter sherd ever found was on an animal dig after the rain .
          Those guys did all the work like you said . The digs will glisten with Chert chips and if you get lucky really lucky an artifact will be sitting there .
          our late Turkey tail taught me that .

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            One of my best points last year I found where coyotes were digging something up.
        Working...
        X