A coral point from frame 49.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A coral point from frame 49.

This a Marion, it was found at lake Tarpon, Pinellas co Florida...it’s 3” long, and made from coral...I guess the most interesting thing about this point is that the original cortex is still present with no signs of heat treating pic 2 and 5, the nearest source for coral I know of is the roughly 100 acre site( now homes are there) in Zepherhills, Pasco co...this was a mind boggling quarry, with 1-2-3 hundred lb. coral heads at the surface,they looked like a super giant sunami tossed em around eons ago, many with spall removal, the chip piles were 5” thick in places, and it was a great place to get a perfect hammer stone ( I have a small, medium and large 7”one ) the unbroken ones were scarce...I took a 250 lb. head out of there using a block and tackle and my 1981 Jeep work truck, (which is in the Bahamas and still running, made in the USA ) needless to say I made a nice rock garden with the heads I got from there, spalls had been taken off the edges of the ones I brought home and the colors were beautiful ...Just under the outer cortex in a thin layer was where they were getting the highly translucent stuff from, that’s why that stuff is rare..Out of three fellows from the shop and myself we never found any points or preforms, but sites close and away produced em.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	452186 Click image for larger version

Views:	184
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	452187 Click image for larger version

Views:	182
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	452188 Click image for larger version

Views:	182
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	452189 Click image for larger version

Views:	190
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	452190
    Floridaboy.

Love the story Hal (and of course the Marion). I remember driving down Bruce B Downs Rd. years ago and right when you hit the Pasco County line either close to or in Wesley Chapel they were building a sub division and there were huge hunks and spalls of raw coral everywhere, it was overwhelming. My rock garden then took me no time to complete between that, heartbreakers, broken tools, huge chunks of chert, ect... from various sites. Across the street from Target on B.B Downs about a mile down whatever side street is there was a good place as well. I was able to get a few points and tools before a ugly sub division was built there too.
    🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      Wesley Chapel was where it was, I guess we all hit the same spots,at one time or another Mike.this was an ancient coral reef that some how had the sand removed from the top by some tremendous upheaval, ( Genesis I, that part about the darkness).was that where Satan was cast down with a third of the angels?, it is a history and science book also, interesting.

• antmike915
      antmike915 commented
      Editing a comment
      lol, sometimes it felt like Satan was cast down next to me on some days it was so hot 🔥

Yeah!, but we didn’t quit did we?, no we didn’t by thunder.sometimes we suffered heatstroke,and crawled back to the vehicle, ut no sir we didn’t quit,lol.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Wesley Chapel, Bruce B Downs, 301, Buddy Lake etc etc WOI!!!! I could not put in an 8-10 hour diggin day anymore WAH. Maybe 3-4.... AAARRGGHH!!
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

No we didn't Hal, I would still be doing it if I was still there (like Tom said maybe 3-4 hours tops) unless I have to dig through the points just to find dirt (and have plenty of drinking water).
        🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

• tomclark
          tomclark commented
          Editing a comment
          2 gallons of water. At least one to drink and another to wash LOL. We'd get there at daybreak and not leave until it started to get dark!
      Working...
      X