Sampson County NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sampson County NC

My grandsons and I decided to walk into the fields behind my house, family land outside of Clinton NC, southeastern part of the state. A stream runs through the property, which is fed by a swamp, with a couple of springs nearby. It was recently plowed and planted with tobacco, and we have had a lot of rain this past week, so I thought this might be a good opportunity to see if we could find anything. Honestly, I never really thought to look, as there are no rivers within 5 miles of here. So far, two rocks that are much bigger than what we find in this area, several flakes of flint rock?, an arrowhead, and possibly some form of pottery, bowl, etc. Any experts want to tell me what we may have found?

Should be plenty more out there. I see one nice point
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Yessir!! You're on a site! The flakes are rhyolite and quartz. If you put a closeup of the point(arrowhead) we can get a better ID. Looks like a palmer, but could be a woodland side notched. The difference is that the base will be ground smooth on a palmer. The age difference is several thousand years.
      North Carolina

Comment

Comment

Probably Woodland with the pottery finds. But with the spring there could be many different types. Your swamp thousands of years ago was probably a nice lake.
          NW Georgia,

Comment

Welcome 1971, congratulations, that’s a sweet little point.
            Floridaboy.

Comment

Keep on looking there 1971, where there's one there will be more.
              🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Didn’t weig in on the pottery 1971 but it’s not ancient Indian stuff, I have found European pottery on historical sites that look similar to that, the folks here show pottery hang in there and stud it , you’ll be a champ in no time..p.s. nice finds all around, everything you find had an architect.
                Floridaboy.

Comment

Went for a few minutes at lunch today. Found this one, it's broke, but still exciting.

Comment

• utilized flake
                    utilized flake commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks like those thin quartz yadkin eared points from our coast!!

I would think these points would be a lot harder to make out of quartz. Seems like an odd choice of material.

ETA I've found a few quartz chips in the area I'm hunting. Most of the finds are in an area about 3 acres in size.
                  Last edited by bga1971; 06-04-2020, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Comment

• utilized flake
                      utilized flake commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's some NC debitage right there! Rhyolite and quartz dominate the material in our area. on a rare occasion we find chalcedony or chert. Just wait until you see what pops out after a hurricane! You'll find artifacts (mostly debitage) everywhere that erosion happens in a field. But you will also find more tools a n d points after a gulleywasher!
                      Last edited by utilized flake; 06-04-2020, 08:20 PM.

Sweet finds there!

There’s surely a lot more in the ground!

Von

Comment

Working...
                    X