Handful of oddball finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handful of oddball finds

Not a bad haul for a half hour walk. First one is a knife/preform that has an inclusion that I assumed weathered away after it was worked, leaving an unusual look. Second is what I though was a black stemmed point but turned out to be a lancet? It appears to be worked up one side and has a beveled tip, either creek chatter or flaked into a saw on the other side. The last one I think is a broken Hopewell conical blade core. Would like to find a whole one some day. I seem to find a lot of these broke or slab ones for some reason. Last pic is everything with a few big flake/edge knifes I also found.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200616_232329.jpg Views:	37 Size:	48.4 KB ID:	462406 Click image for larger version  Name:	20200617_084734.jpg Views:	24 Size:	27.3 KB ID:	462407 Click image for larger version  Name:	20200617_084817.jpg Views:	24 Size:	31.0 KB ID:	462408 Click image for larger version  Name:	20200615_235443.jpg Views:	24 Size:	96.3 KB ID:	462409 Click image for larger version  Name:	20200616_233308.jpg Views:	25 Size:	78.1 KB ID:	462410 Click image for larger version  Name:	20200617_084150.jpg Views:	24 Size:	16.7 KB ID:	462411 Click image for larger version  Name:	20200617_085125.jpg Views:	23 Size:	46.9 KB ID:	462412 Click image for larger version  Name:	20200615_004219.jpg Views:	23 Size:	238.9 KB ID:	462413
    Last edited by flintguy; 06-18-2020, 09:14 AM.
    Central Ohio

Nice finds, looks like you have a micro tool industry at that site, bott left shows vertical tool flake removals, next two would be similar to the flakes that were removed,, and they exhibit the classic dorsal ridge, lighter one is the preform, darker one is the finished tool...Florida examples are smaller...
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Those are pretty cool pieces....nice colors.. real good for a half hour walk!
      SW Connecticut

Comment

This is one type from the tool kit, there are others shaped like top pic. and flat ones, ( yours has the median ridge ). drill types, etc. it’s an interesting technology.... these three have the tip bevel
        Click image for larger version

Name:	4D823D0C-42A2-41D6-A68D-15410FC8184D.jpeg
Views:	206
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	462435 Click image for larger version

Name:	52BFEAEF-C408-4393-AA49-F5AB1F384805.jpeg
Views:	221
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	462436 Click image for larger version

Name:	0466F050-BEFA-4C5F-B97F-527AE4172224.jpeg
Views:	200
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	462437
        Floridaboy.

Comment

• flintguy
          flintguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice stuff Hal. Thanks for the info. I have found a really cool micro blade close by. Occasionally find flake knives but I find those blade cores a lot on this site. Probably have a dozen of them. I always take them home. They usually have three to five long flake scars on them. It's a woodland site with known Hopewell finds so I'm assuming that they are broken conical cores. I'm going to click my heals together if I ever find a perfectly round one. It's on my bucket list.

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          A nice core from the blade technology is hard to find, I guess they used em till they weren’t.lol.

Go back but for a couple of hours. Nice blades
        NW Georgia,

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Please do I'm out of commission for at least a week. Maybe longer so I will be on more than normal looking and drooling

• flintguy
          flintguy commented
          Editing a comment
          It's not your leg again is it? Those old ladies at work getting in your way?

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep but for a different reason. The backroom is so tiny now days.

Your first one looks like it might of had an inclusion in it that washed away. I bet at one time it was a nice scraper.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

That was my thinking as well. Almost looks like they had thoughts of a point considering the one end, but never finished it up.
          Central Ohio

Comment

Nice finds. I love bladelets.
            “Turn Rocks”. https://youtube.com/channel/UCtlGNDghAQMaPw9ov8HEhiw

Comment

Dark Brown one nice tool
              South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• flintguy
                flintguy commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Willjo. This was an old post that got pumped back up. Thanks for taking a look.

Textbook flakes from blade cores. Very cool!
              South Carolina

Comment

• Narrow Way Knapper
                Narrow Way Knapper commented
                Editing a comment
                Are you close to a quarry site?

• flintguy
                flintguy commented
                Editing a comment
                No. Just what used to be a farm that was turned into a neighbor back in the 1920s through 50s. There used to be at least four mounds that were bulldozed into the creek to make room. From what I can figure they were hastily excavated with not much found before hand. But I'm guessing it was an important spot and I'm sure some nice lithics were brought in. I find raw chunks of chalcedony like flint ridge and others lying around unworked. Not sure what was going on there.

• Narrow Way Knapper
                Narrow Way Knapper commented
                Editing a comment
                Very interesting. Raises a lot more questions about that culture.
            Working...
            X