A Florida Lost Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Florida Lost Lake

This is a Lost Lake from the Santa Fey River, north Florida...It’s 2-14”long and has the classic opposite beveling on each face, which doesn’t really show well in pics....
    Click image for larger version

Name:	18CCF4DE-FFCA-450D-A048-66D0F989ECAC.jpeg
Views:	240
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	485704 Click image for larger version

Name:	1DA50176-F46E-4470-BE75-9A76A4626F85.jpeg
Views:	178
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	485705 Click image for larger version

Name:	5A382588-F4F9-4944-8042-469A4BD17C6B.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	485706 Click image for larger version

Name:	6358BFC0-0235-48C8-B2A8-5E608A321F3E.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	485707 Click image for larger version

Name:	A4C93C7B-0B70-4ADA-8127-BD641B5E0E33.jpeg
Views:	181
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	485708 Click image for larger version

Name:	ECEE7F3E-0959-40A8-BCFD-71BEBC95B8E9.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	485709 Click image for larger version

Name:	A6288BCE-D113-4D4B-9162-914941398617.jpeg
Views:	178
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	485710
    Floridaboy.

Nice point that is, black gold, Florida tea ..... don't know why that popped in my head seeing it. That's a killer 👍
    🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s what happens when you get older things pop in and out of your head...probably too much Florida black tea.

Beauty of a find ... and jet black... way to go Florida boy....👍
    Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Very nice Hal
      Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Sharp point! As in sharp looking and needle sharp.
        Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

Great looking point looks like black butter
          Wyoming

Comment

Awesome point Hal
            SW Connecticut

Comment

That one get the old heart pumping ! TY for the show Hal !
              Lubbock County Tx

Comment

An outstanding Lost Lake dart point. It seems like most that are found were used as knives or perhaps spears.They don't come any better than that. And they are relatively rare compared to other Early Archaic types. Yours is even more rare as it was made by a left handed person. Out of curiosity I looked in my edition of Overstreet to see if there were any photos of points made with a left handed bevel. In the East Central region there were pics of 38 points and all had right handed bevels. Out of the types that exhibit that opposite side beveling such as Lost Lake, Decatur, Dovetail, and Ecusta I found only one with a lefty bevel.

Comment

• Cecilia
                  Cecilia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow. Only 6 months ago, figured out how to distinguish a heavy bevel from a light serration (in my pictures); but, you can tell left-handed knapper!! If possible to explain how to non-knapper, please!

• sailorjoe
                  sailorjoe commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi Cecilia.I am not a knapper, also.It has to do with how people use their hands as to being right handed and left handed: When you hold a point that is beveled on opposite sides and look at it straight on, if the beveled edge is on the left side then it was made that way by someone who is using the flaking tool in his right hand. That is the way that most of these points that end up with a rhomboid cross section look because right handedness is by far the most common situation among people. That explains why Hal's point is so rare. Relatively few people are left handed. Now of course there are the rare people who are ambidextrous. Those folks are really rare. I only have known one person who was truly blessed with that ability. He could shoot pool with either hand and could bat baseballs as a lefty or righty.

• sailorjoe
                  sailorjoe commented
                  Editing a comment
                  To Hal. The only Bolens I have seen are photos. They do not occur (to my knowledge) in my old hunting grounds. But as I understand they are side-notched somewhat like the Big Sandy style. Big Sandys can sometimes be beveled but usually are not.and I think, but not sure,that is the situation with Bolens. IMO Big Sandys and Bolens are more similar and Lost Lakes are different in being corner notched with a relatively straight base. Lost Lakes have much more in common with Dovetails with the basal form being the distinguishing character.

Not Six Mile Creek/Kirk??
                Professor Shellman
                Tampa Bay

Comment

• Hal Gorges
                  Hal Gorges commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What happened to the pics..I’m gonna do another post on black beauty,,you comments inspired me., I think it’s between two types also., stay tuned. im workin on it now,,

Thats a dandy really nice.
                Utah

Comment

Working...
                X