Base ID Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Base ID Help

Any thoughts on this base? I have a couple more similar. This one in particular has very pronounced basal thinning on both sides and light basal grinding. Another find from the mid to low strata of the MO rockshelter. Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Holland.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	526223

Let's see them all together
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Here’s all 3. All should be early to mid archaic at the latest. All basal thinned and serrated. White one is left hand beveled. Click image for larger version

Name:	13C8CB45-D561-4ED3-B072-E99B59519EB1.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	283.4 KB
ID:	526351

Comment

Interesting, looks like they all had the same maker. Makes sense that you would be able to find a lot of bases in a shelter. Tips probably broke out in the field and the shaft was refitting back at camp. I don't think I've ever seen a base quite like it before.
        South Carolina

Comment

Here i would think Savannah River but you probably don't have them there. I know some Kirk types look like that to
          NW Georgia,

Comment

Yea, it is definitely an unusual form. I'll have to look again but there may be another one or two as well in the broke pile. Right now I'm between Hidden Valley and Searcy.

Comment

Look like similar type from central Texas pedernales. I like the way they thin the base very similar

Comment

to me these show Kirk attributes. On left Kirk stemmed other two Kirk stemmed bifurcate . Nice finds I hope you find some whole ones to show us.
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

They do look a little Kirky, like the ones I see pulled from TN all the time, but for some reason it just doesn't feel like that if that makes sense. I really hope I can pull a full one as well.

Comment

That's just what you need , a complete one. I thought pedernales. I think the serrations are throwing it off base as a Kirk. But what do I know about Texas stuff, only what I see and read. Kim
                    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• Hoss
                      Hoss commented
                      Editing a comment
                      They are out of a Missouri Rock Shelter Kim . I think MO is too far out of Texas for them to be pedernales . I admit the base is similar . However Kirks are sometimes bifurcated on the stemmed variety.

Thanks Hoss, my mistake. Kirks here are very different. None that I've seen or found have a base like that. Kim
                    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Working...
                    X