Find of the Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find of the Day

Went digging today. I didn't get to stay very long and this is all I found moving down a limb at the edge of the bluff line about a foot from my face.

Pretty little guy

Pretty to you Coach! I don't like snakes very much.
    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Oh, he is pretty! I like snakes. They eat mice. What kind is he?

Comment

It's a Copperhead Adena. Like snakes. Mice, not so much.

Comment

I sat on two of these once. They just slithered off into the daylight. LOL It was early morning and I went Bow hunting late one September. My buddy had hunted those woods before so he just said follow this stream and you will see a large bolder on the left side sit there and wait. I am a pretty big dude so I do not climb tree stands anymore. Anyway It was dark and early when I found the rock so I just sat down to wait by the boulder and I could hear something moving next to my leg. When the sun came up a while later I see two copperheads mating. I was like Oh great a two headed snake. I never saw a copperhead before that day. LOL Any way a year later I took a Nuisance wild life control course ad they showed me pictures of my little ground stand friends and I learned they are the only snakes in CT that mate in September and October They also don't lay eggs they give live birth to a bunch of baby snakes in the spring of the year. The mothers carry them all winter through a dormant hibernation state.
          I was lucky I didn't get bit that day.
          Thanks for the picture man that looks like a young one. They say they are more grey when they are young.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Yeah Hoss it was definitely young. I had a buddy that hurt his back digging and decided to lay out on a rock under the bluff. He said one slithered right over his hand. If I'm not mistaken the Copperhead after giving live birth carries the babies in her mouth from time to time or maybe that's another snake.

Comment

They are very gregarious too. If there is one there then certainly more will be in the area. They tend to eat and den together as well and sometimes they will den with other species too so keep an eye out brother. Be safe!
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I don't miss copperheads at all since I moved to OR from NC in 2010, especially since NC was #1 in Nation for poisonous snake bites- mostly copperheads! Yes, I too believe that is a young one, as babies have yellow tipped tails, and it appears this one still has has some yellow on tip of tail....  Cool photo!
                Darin
                In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. -John Muir

Comment

Very cool pic. Coach for sure little copperhead. Was always told growing up that they strike without warning. Read an article while back that said the opposite, said most copperheads strike out of aggression only a few times in their life. Would not won't to be part of that research!   You be careful out their, good hunting!!
                  Joe.

Comment

I feel youre pain

Comment

Working...
                    X