Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Todays finds! Wow! Incredible day never to be forgotten!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todays finds! Wow! Incredible day never to be forgotten!

Went on a hunting trip today down in eastern texas and i must say is right up there with some of the best and most memorable days that i will never forget! 3 AMAZING finds! And one that was nearly missed all together since both my partner and i walked right over it when we set off down stream. Luckily on the way back, and we all know sometimes just a different angle is what reveals them, a small white piece of obviously knapped flint was poking out from under a small cluster of rocks and i flipped out the largest one ive found all year! And was at the very end of our hunt as we were nearly back to my boat. What a way to end such a great day. But my favorite one is the very first thing we found, and after that i didnt care if i even found another all day, i just wanted my friend to find him a good one! Hes not nearly into the hobby or does he have many artifacts but he will go with me from time to time. I kind of hung back after that and let he go on ahead a ways so he could maybe find something nice as well. We did find some field grade ones over the next couple hours and then we came up on a small tree laid over with the tip just barely out in the water and he eased out in front of it into the shallow water so i went around the other way and ill be danged!!! I looked down and knew immediately what i was seeing and kinda yelled at my buddy, why didnt you go this way!!! He knew i had found something exciting. He came over and looked down at it and i think it made him sick knowing he was that close to finding it. So im really feeling kinda bad now and just hoping he will come across a quality find. And after more walking and more field grades we found here and there we had decided to go since his son had a ball game he had to go to, so we headed back to the boat quit a ways downstream from where we started. And we were almost back to the boat when the first part of this story i mentioned came about. Another amazing find! I felt so bad for my friend, i wanted so badly to see him find a nice quality showpiece he could be proud of and talk about forever, and here i was, hunting nearly all my life with countless numbers of all kinds of different artifacts made from all parts of the tri state area, with 3 of the most amazing artifacts any hunter would be happy to find! Theres always another day i told him and some days are just your day and sometimes theyre not. He wasnt nearly as disappointed about it like i was though, he was happy with the 6 or so he found and just glad to go. We had a good time and wont ever forget today either. But the first one i found and my favorite of the 3 is what i think is an Ellis. The second one, that i really wished he found and the oldest of them, was a super thin almost white lightly colored San Patrice! And the last one that was nearly left and never uncovered i would call a Gary Spear. Im by no means a professional at classification but those are just my initial thoughts on these so feel free to correct me on them if im incorrect or are of a certain variant or whatever! Thanks
    Attached Files

San Patrice I believe
    Attached Files

Comment

Gary Spear and my largest of the year….so far!
      Attached Files

Comment

I could not get the image i took showing the length of the Gary to resize small enough to upload for some reason. But the length on it is 4.5 inches. I also took width measurements of all of these and if anyone would like them let me know!

Comment

sweet..
          Utah

Comment

Awesome finds
            Missouri

Comment

Thanks guys! Im still on cloud 9 about them! Had alarm set for 6 and its 554 and im already on road! So excited to get back out there and want to spend as long as i can there. Ill be back on tonight hopefully sharing some good finds!

Comment

• smbore
                smbore commented
                Editing a comment
                good luck.

Wow, that first one is about as perfect as can be!
              South Carolina

Comment

Excellent artifacts
                South Dakota

Comment

The black Ellis one Narrow? Im assuming thats the one u mean! It is very high quality and thin too! Just about any u find similar to that style around here very very very have both barbs. I have two of the most beautiful calf creeks that have a barb or ear could call it i guess, broken off plus several others that are possibly calf creeks too but im not positive, that are all the same way! Complete heart breakers, BUT the first two i mentioned are still on cases among my best stuff and are among my favorites. The depth of the notches on them and length a narrowness of the remaining barb just amazes me and had to be made by the most skilled knappers there were. As ive also been told with the complexity of making such deep notches and those thin, narrow, delicate barbs that many of your calf creeks, and similar deep notched,, barbed point were actually broken during production. And i have seen evidence of that theory on some that had barb broken off but had been reworked and just rounded off leaving a small nub on that side. Now i suppose this could have been done later on on time and salvaged but if someone with that skillset to get one barb so perfect that if they were to accidentally break the other one that they would have just fixed it then and themselves rather than discarding it or whatever. Its not as if it was rendered useless with the shorter barb so they likely fixed it the best they could and used it for its intended purpose. But thats just my take on it! Id be glad to share those Calfs as well! But why cant i just throw the pics up on here?? I keep being told to start a new thread when i want to add a photo to an existing thread. Im new so….

Comment

Very nice
                    Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

A day to remember for sure. Great finds! The three are really nice but that first one you are calling Ellis is really a piece of work. It looks to have very little rework if any done to it. Makes ya wonder just why it was laying there in such nice shape. Great finds dude...
                      The chase is better than the catch...
                      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

A day well spent, nice finds
                        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Beauties...congrats in the finds!
                          SW Connecticut

Comment

The black one is a Marcos

Comment

Working...
                            X