Pickwick trip v2.0- ft. The ancient campfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickwick trip v2.0- ft. The ancient campfire

Early Saturday afternoon I was at my st. Louis, mo home hosting my gf's-sisters-50th birthday party. I got word from a friend that the tn river was going to drop 8 VERTICAL FEET that evening. I threw kayak on jeep, packed a bag and snuck out the back door. Before anyone noticed I was over halfway to Hardin County, WAY to far to turn around. I got to the river at dark at put-in immediately. It would take 2 hours to get to my favorite hunting grounds. I wanted to be there an hour before the water started dropping. Stake my claim, so to speak. It paid off with over a dozen points that night and into the next morning. Including a Dalton, a 5in perfect copena. Around noon, I decided to go my tn home for an hour or 2 nap. I couldn't sleep, so I went back to river. As I was walking the banks I started finding a bunch of "chopper" type tools. Lots of em. So many that I had to put them in little piles to come back for. Then....I stumbled onto an ancient fire pit. At first I thought it was just someone's campfire, but upon further inspection, I realized this was a very, very old fire... the main pit was about 2' x 2' with about equal parts charcoal and burnt Redrock. The same materials were spread over a 20' radius by the river. I found more choppers and a bunch of flake tools. one edge on each of the flakes was finely pressure flaked. I assumed for cutting whatever they cooked. I also assumed all those "choppers" I found were for butchering whatever they cooked. I could be wrong, but that's what it all looked like. I didn't find any bones, but I did find several jet black (carbonized?) corn cobs. Unfortunately the water was rising and the whole thing was quickly becoming flooded 😕
    it started to get dark and I decided to spend the night hunting again. I didn't find anything to speak of until daylight. First, I found a small pinetree. I nicked an ear off when I flipped it over with my kayak paddle😭it is made of Kevlar and carbon fiber, is supposedly bullet-proof and I once used it to chop a 6" diameter log in half so I could proceeded up a creek, but I won't be flipping any more possible points over with it... an hour later I found a tiny Madison in a web of roots. Then it got good. I noticed a tiny fleck of grey chert in a vast sea of clay on the banks. I knew some giant pine trees have come out of this particular site.... and sure enough, out came a beauty, prob the nicest point I've found so far. Both ears had tiny dings and there was a tiny fleck of serration out of place... but not bad for a 9000 year old piece. The imperfections appeared to occur back in ancient times. I carefully searched the clay for any other points but came up short. There were several charcoal and red viens throughout the clay, evidence of more ancient fire pits. There were also multiple arrowhead- shaped chunks missing out of the clay where points had recently fallen out of the clay and into the 30ft abyss below my kayak. I will be back to this site every chance I get.
    Still high on adrenaline from my huge pinetree, I see a a barge coming down the river. I position my kayak about 5 feet from the bank,facing the bank so that when the giant waves from the barge hit, I can see if any points are exposed. Sure enough, as soon as the first wave crashes down, a 4in beauty is exposed. It's not easy trying to grab a rock off the bank, from a kayak, with set after set of 5ft waves crashing ashore, then bouncing back into the incoming waves, creating a huge swell. But I was determined to get my hands on that point and somehow managed to get it from the bank and get back to open water without flipping. I thanked the Great Spirit and examined my new point. It was a beatiful, purplish chert with blue, purple and orange viens running thru it. I'm thinking Buffalo River Chert. At first I thought it was a Benton. But when I showed it to my buddy he pointed out that the base was convex, bentons are concave usualy, occasionally straight. But never convex. The closest point type I've seen was a Benton narrow blad ie, but again, their bases are not convex.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220529_101543.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	637525Click image for larger version

Name:	20220529_101635.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	637522Click image for larger version

Name:	20220531_004512.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	637523Click image for larger version

Name:	20220531_004637.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	637526Click image for larger version

Name:	20220531_212515.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	637521Click image for larger version

Name:	20220531_212300.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	637524Click image for larger version

Name:	20220531_075834.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	637528
    Attached Files

Comment

Name:	20220529_101159.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	637538Click image for larger version

Name:	20220531_004326.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	637533Click image for larger version

Name:	20220530_133237.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	637534Click image for larger version

Name:	20220531_204252.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	637536Click image for larger version

Name:	20220531_203654.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	637535Click image for larger version

Name:	20220531_145508.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	637531Click image for larger version

Name:	20220531_203738.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	637537
      Attached Files

Comment

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        One of the nicest points In the collection .

Name:	20220531_080924.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	637542Click image for larger version

Name:	20220531_145149.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	637543

Comment

man what a hunt. good fer you man. Beautiful points. it's cool to find those ancient camps. they've produced many fine artifacts for me over the years. excellent....
        Utah

Comment

Way to be prepared and take advantage of that situation
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Great job. So cool.
            Missouri

Comment

Incredible story and pictures! I don't think I would have gotten much sleep either after finding something that nice.
              South Carolina

Comment

Wow. What a great story, great pics, great artifacts! (And you must have a great g’frd, too, to not give you grief for blowing off host-duties!)
                Last edited by Cecilia; 06-03-2022, 07:13 AM.
                Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Thanks everyone. I forgot to post this one.... you can see the old water line, waaaaayyyy up there Click image for larger version

Name:	20220530_064338.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	262.9 KB
ID:	637559
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Cecilia
                    Cecilia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Geez, no wonder you hightailed it!

Hi Pickwick. You struck a bonanza for sure. Bet you burnt up the highway getting back to Hardin county. It's a super deal that your friend told you about the river drawdown. It's a great story and some good pictures. You got yourself some great points for sure and some outstanding Early Archaic points. I would like to comment on the types you found from the photos that you provide although I would like to see close ups of all your finds instead of the select few you provided. Yes a dandy Dalton and a super Copena. Looks like you found a Dovetail, too. It looks like one on the upper left in the first pic. Regarding the corner notch point that you broke a little bit from one ear. I believe it is a Kirk Corner Notch and not a Pinetree but the corner notch one with the serrations is a Pinetree. Regarding the large blade. I think it is a Benton Blade. The base is so little a convex shape that I wouldn't call it convex. When you think convex then think something like a Dovetail. I think you may have a Benton on the bottom right of the first pic. I surely would like to see a bigger picture of it and the one next to it. That middle point sure looks interesting. The large blade with a end that's kinda square is a square end knife. I've found lots of them. You found other real nice points. Three other points I'd like to see pictures of are the three on the 2nd row in the photo of several points. Like to see them cause I am very interested in all you found that day. I've never had a day like that and don't know anyone who has. Just imagine what were on other sites along the river as you were able to cover such a tiny portion of those that were exposed.

Comment

• Pickwick
                    Pickwick commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you so much for the info sailorJoe. I will get those pics up for you sometime tmrw afternoon/ evening. I drove back to stl Wednesday to pick up my gf. Her and I are going back to tn tmrw for one last hunt before I go to Alaska for the summer. She's not as adventurous as I can be, so we prob won't be kayaking by moonlight this time, but hopefully we can get her a point or 2. Thanks again for your response👍

Congrats, You scored some Killers! Can imagine the wake/wave grab . Careful out There.
                  http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Now THAT was a great hunt!
                    South Carolina

Comment

Gives a new meaning to ride a wave...An almost unheard of hunt....Many of my sites depended on timing also...Most excellent points and great story..Thanks 👍👍👍
                      Floridaboy.

Comment

Amazing! Congrats on an stellar hunt!
                        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Working...
                        X