New here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here

Hi, I just signed up a minute ago. I’m from Plymouth, Ma. And lately I’ve been thinking of how much fun it would be to find an Indian artifact of some sort. But I don’t have the first clue how to go about doing that.

Is digging typically involved? I’ll go hunting prepared, if so.

do you guys ever find wampum, if I have the name correct? Beads or stones they used to trade? That would be a great find too, but after briefly browsing posts, I hadn’t stumbled across any posts about those kinds of finds.

basically, I don’t know what I’m doing. All I know is that I have a goal to find something, so if you guys have any kind of advice you could give me or tips, that would be awesome! Oh and by the way is anyone from around Plymouth area?

Welcome. Artifacts almost always relate to water. Most sites were dictated by running water yet flood safe ground. Plowed fields are wonderful. Gravel bars in streams are good too but the amount if natural stone is overwhelming for most beginning collectors.

Comment

Welcome from west central Florida...
      Floridaboy.

Comment

Welcome from West Missouri. Garguy is steering you in the right direction. They usually don't come easy most of the time even if you know you're in the right area, put the miles and time in and you'll put luck on your side

Comment

Welcome from Michigan
          Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Welcome from Iowa and good luck. New plowed fields after a rain are good. Look for flint chips and if found there will probably be a point around there, after a ton of walking. As for beads they are much rarer and not as common as points.
            SE IA

Comment

Welcome to the forum....sound advice from garguy, midwesterner and oldrocks.......not from your area so cant help on a location......im in Tennessee.....i hunt gravel bars and construction sites......water sources near fields and construction might be good locations to find something.....learn material in your area in which artifacts are made, if you start seeing debitage something should turn up... also, learn state laws for your area for artifact hunting......research you tube vids, literature on artifacts in your area and this site of course......hope this helps.....more from your area will reply with addl info
              Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Some good folks from your part of the country here, be patient, eventually they'll show up and give you some clues. In the meantime all kinds of useful info in the forum. Spend some time and look around.
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Start with the basics not the chicken teeth

Comment

Working...
                  X