Found a Smoker Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a Smoker Today

Hello all....found an absolute beauty today at a construction site.....heavy rain last night and I suspect brought this to the surface....I am amazed that heavy equipment didn't destroy this piece.....so happy to be on the board this year with this find.....I've been on a slump since November.....this is 3.5 for inches in length and 1.75 at the base.......my initial thought was some type of Kirk......my buddy mentioned possible dovetail or Snyder's.....I would love to hear your opinions.........nw middle tn find......thanks for looking
    Attached Files
    Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Wow, what a find

Comment

• Benji
      Benji commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks midwesterner

WHOA~~~ congrats on that one.
    you may never find a finer piece… and I’m thinking Lost Lake……👍👍 Click image for larger version

Name:	8550937C-2532-41A4-9181-50CDBA5FF12E.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	673676
    Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

• Benji
      Benji commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks north.... probably just scored one of the finest in my collection this far....I thought maybe lost lake but didn't think the notches come down far enough....love the Boston terrier pic

they dont get much better than that. Wow.
    Utah

Comment

• Benji
      Benji commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks smbore

Wow! Maybe LostLake?

What was that right behind it?

Comment

• Benji
      Benji commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks garguy....I'm sure just a rock.....I searched that area good after pulling this point

Nice construction site!
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Benji
      Benji commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah....can't wait till the expose more dirt closer to the water

We been missing you Benji. You know that you can always join in discussions if you want to. The site is not about just show and tell. I hope you hang around and read some of the very informative posts. HST, I will get off my "preaching pulpit" and comment about your outstanding find. It is a 10 on my "Dandy" scale. As for type: I can always be wrong but I believe it is a first generation (never been sharpened) Dovetail. I can tell you the reasons why if you want to know. If the base is not ground then I will throw that opinion out the window and start over again. Yes, you done good. I never saw a better one.

Comment

• Benji
      Benji commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks sailor....was hoping you would see this and offer an opinion.....I know you have experience with point types in my area......I'd say the top of the base feels smooth to the touch.....the larger ear at top feels a little smooth too but the smaller ear, not so much....there is a serration that starts pretty close to the bottom of that ear so,. I'm feeling some sharp edge there...and sure, any additional insight you have or need more images let me know in order to make a definitive decision

• sailorjoe
      sailorjoe commented
      Editing a comment
      It's a Dovetail. It's not a Pine Tree as someone suggested.Pine Trees tend to be somewhat side notched but sometimes look kinda corner notch. Their bases are usually straight to slightly incurvate according to Cambron who named it.

• Mailman
      Mailman commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree with Sailor, 100%. Unsharpened Dovetail. Absolutely stunning. Well done.

Yes you did! Smoker for sure!
    South Carolina

Comment

• Benji
      Benji commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks josie

Appropriate Title on that one. Smoker for sure.
    Searching among the footprints. Footprints everywhere!

Comment

• Benji
      Benji commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks oldcrow

Finest point I've seen posted on here for a while. Crazy nice. Just my opinion but could be convinced it's a corner notched dovetail.
    Central Ohio

Comment

• Benji
      Benji commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks flintguy

Fantastic Smoker!
    2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

• Benji
      Benji commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks longstride

Stage one Pinetree would be my guess, but there are two truths about that piece:

1. It's Early Archaic (so related to Kirk, Dovetail, Lost Lake, and lots of other types.)
    2. It's an absolutely spectacular piece.
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Benji
      Benji commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks clovis

Bravo Benjie! Take it with a grain of salt, but I'd call it a Mammoth Dove Tail.

😲🐘
    South Carolina

Comment

• Benji
      Benji commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you knapper

First stage smoker! Very nice find! Congrats!

Comment

• Benji
      Benji commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks overshot

Looks like it was made yesterday.. . Great piece...very clean, nice find
    Wisconsin

Comment

• Benji
      Benji commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks wah