Civil War site construction!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil War site construction!

They've been moving dirt at an old battlefield here in Franklin Tn. that once was a golf course. I didnt really expect to find anything since all the promising dirt had most likely been relocated back in the 50's when the golf course was built but as luck would have it I walked up on 2 pieces not long after my journey began and I thought I was in for a real epic hunt but.....thats not what happened, they ended up being all I found plus an old button that I presume may have been lost in the Battle of Franklin but cant say for sure since my old Military knowledge is lacking. I did enjoy a couple of hours in the peace and quiet and did preserve a little Native and American history today so Id say it was a good one!

Heres the button I found.

Also, I had a buddy send me the following pic stating that he had bought a load of topsoil and his 9 year old son found this while spreading it out. I offered his son a twenty dollar bill in exchange for it but he will not budge!
    I am going to get a whole trailer load of topsoil from the place tomorrow in hopes of getting lucky myself and trying tofind out the location of the topsoil cause little Blayne discovered what appears to be a pretty sweet Adena blade of some sort!
    URL=http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/geezer77/media/4EE80CB4-5CE3-4A8E-8F34-C81B39CCA0F2-18240-00001C82F5402E46_zpse214324d.jpg.html][/URL]

That is way cool. To be able to walk a dozed battle site. I'd definitely be back out there again.
    Like your story on the dirt, you have got to find that place!
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Cool button Geezer! I wish I could help on ID. Hopefully we can both learn something here. And hey, good luck on that load of dirt.
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Here is a site that may help in ID'ing the Button it has little info but will give you a starting point to look for info. The six pic down looks like what you found.

Looks like you had a great day!
        Thanks for sharing!
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Thanks for the link Chase, That one does look like the one I found, same Eagle/shield design. I kinda hope more continue to wash out!!! As for the dirt, the guy at the sales place said that he didnt know exactly where the dirt came from but did know its from Ashland city which is a little town along the Cumberland river just south east of the Dover quarry which explains the Dover chert it is made from. Im gonna continue to dig deeper into it but for now I have 3 scoops worth to look in!!!!

Comment

Nice finds, especially if it's a Civil War button. I used google image for quite a while and the one chase mentioned was the closest in design from what I could see. Whatever Union units were in that engagement, if you knew that, could dig deeper perhaps.  Fine day, geezer!
            And cool story. Good luck with the dirt!
            Rhode Island

Comment

Nice finds...button is modern Air Force...not Civil War.
              Greg

Comment

what does the back of the button look like?
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                X