Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gullah Geechee

A little known American culture...

Ranky Tanky, a contemporary Gullah band. In the Gullah culture, Ranky Tanky translates as "work it", or "get funky"...

Last edited by CMD; 06-07-2018, 04:36 PM.

That was interesting
    My name is Gary. I live in NE South Dakota

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Lots of unique cultures in America, something to be learned from all of them....

You’re right there
    My name is Gary. I live in NE South Dakota

Comment

Great post CMD. I found it very interesting. I had never heard of the Gullah Geechee before but I have heard that music I just never knew where it originated. It has a wonderful blend of African spiritual, jazz and gospel...just a great rhythm...I would love to spend a few days with them. I bet that Sunday dinner is outta this world!!! Great post man...
      The chase is better than the catch...
      From the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        I was not too familiar either. Until I read that that particular band is appearing here in Providence this Sunday as part of a big annual Providence festival. So I explored their music a little, and came across the Vice News video describing the culture. I had heard of the development going on there before, but found the story very interesting, as well, unfortunately, a bit sad. I hope some of their heirs lands can survive, but I guess that will be difficult.

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        Here's a short piece about the band Ranky Tanky from the June 7, 2018 Providence Journal. Scroll down for the story: http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Oli...AD96&mode=text
    Working...
    X