Calf Creek Horizon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calf Creek Horizon

Houston Archeological Society Meeting, Thursday, May 19th, 2022Dr. Jon C. Lohse"The Calf Creek Horizon: A Mid-Holocene Hunter-Gatherer Adaptation in the Cent...

I’m not sure if this has been posted before but it’s a pretty interesting video.

I have a couple calf creek points that actually came from the calf creek cave mentioned in the video. They are some well used and resharpened points, and absolutely works of art in my opinion.
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ll try to find them and post some pics of them. I have half a shoebox full of points from that cave.

• Bushman B
      Bushman B commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ll be looking forward to seeing that for sure

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you ok with me posting them in your thread instead of starting a new one??

I’m gonna go ahead and post them here and if you would rather me start a new thread I will remove them. I’m simple like that.

the one on top with the broken tip is perhaps a lost lake and was found nearly 190 miles southeast of Calf Creek but I included it because I had it out and the type is so similar but subtlety different…

the two on bottom are the ones I think are definitely “Calf Creek”, found in that cave on said creek. The other two are also, but I am not sure of the type of the black one and the white one just looks like one that was exhausted and used to the bitter end.

the biggest one (bottom left)is unbelievably thin. It’s the thinnest of them all, and the craftsmanship it took to make something like that is just mind blowing to me.

Comment

• Bushman B
      Bushman B commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m simple too thanks for posting them anyways at all! That is a really nice group and some amazing work on those! The lost lake fits right in to that basal notch style. And it’s crazy to think they were able to thin that big wide one down like that, but they definitely knew what they were doing. I think my favorite might just be the one that’s all used up though, it looks like that thing was being resharpened when it was almost down to the haft already haha!! I wouldn’t wanna throw it away either. Thanks for sharing Jethro!!!

My pleasure. It’s what we are here for. What I find fascinating the most is the completely insane variation in types of point found in that cave, in the same excavation. The lithics have very little variation but the point type, size, and probable use is wildly varied. I’m sure the age varies a great deal also. The cave is a primo location for shelter with a constant clean water supply.

one of my friend’s dad was in on the original excavation( I think in 58 or 59?) of the cave and he kept a lot of the field grade points and gifted them to me. I’ve seen pics of the stuff they kept for the museum and they don’t even look real.

by the way, the big white one is less than a 1/4” thick at it’s thickest point. It mic’s at right at .215 inches..😳
    Last edited by Jethro355; 11-11-2023, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Here are the points that were given to me from that site in two photos, minus the calf creek points I keep in a separate container.

notice the wide array of size and style. I suspect these range in age over several thousand years. Some of these are likely true arrow tips, which is pretty “new”, and those Calf Creek points are old, middle archaic-ish…probably 6-7,000 years old.
      I know there were some Dalton points found there, and I have one Clovis that came from there as well. I sent it to Paul and he verified it and said it was probably 10-12,000 years old and made from some kind of chert from over in Kentucky.

there are a few in these pics I would call “calf Creek suspicious” because they look like they might have been attempts at one, or reworked versions.

Comment

Very interesting and informative lecture, thanks!
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Working...
        X