• Nw iowa

Found 20 miles apart in nw iowa by spencer iowa
    One is axe head the other no idea one side is worn other is not

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2013-12-29r [replaced].jpg
Views:	41
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	218796

wow! nice axe! whats the other thing made outta? looks like clay or something.
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Very nice! I have no clue what the second piece is. Welcome to the board!
      Bob

Comment

Nice axe!  We're they found together? Here's a pict. Of something similar I found

Geofact I think.

Comment

:laugh: no way thats a geo-fact!

Comment

Almost exactly what I have we have  where is yours from?  My two items were likely not related 25 miles apart

Comment

Wow Pete that looks like a really nice full grooved axe from where I sit. Great find! The other piece I am not sure about. It doesn't fit any class of ancient artifact I am aware of though.
              Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Mine was found on a site in Idaho . Sent it to Jackson gallery's with a few other pieces for COA's  they called it a concreation .  A geofact.  Looks like a war club or head knocker to me though

Comment

Rock queen wrote:

Mine was found on a site in Idaho . Sent it to Jackson gallery's with a few other pieces for COA's  they called it a concreation .  A geofact.  Looks like a war club or head knocker to me though
                    I would agree with concretion. Both of the round items posted look like carbonate-cemented sandstone concretions with erosion in the softer areas of the bedding planes. Never underestimate what mother nature can create. Here's a couple out of my collection:

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Thanks Pete, Thanks Eugenia, and Thanks Roger. I certainly learned something today and after all that
                    is why I'm here. I would have given high odds that those were man-made. It is simply amazing what old
                    Mother Nature can create.
                    Michigan Yooper
                    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

wow! i wouldnt have thought natural at all! how do they form so symetrical?

Comment

OnewiththewilD wrote:

wow! i wouldnt have thought natural at all! how do they form so symetrical?
                          They're growing gradually, around a nucleus, in mineral-rich sediments. Think of them like round crystals with mud/clay/sand mixed into the mineralisation. Here's some carbonate concretions from Pleistocene glacial mud (Endako, British Columbia). The one at the top right is about 4 cm long:

[pic from Kinder, 1923]
                        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

thats amazing! thanks for that!truly one of the marvels of nature.

Comment

Looks like a Indian Top, can you walk the dog or go around the world.  :rolf: Oh I forgot that is one sweet axe. Congrats !!

Comment

Working...
                            X