Shaft abrading stone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaft abrading stone?

I found this mystery stone down hill from a site that I have found a few nice darts and other tools.  I have only found one other possible shaft abrader.  For some reason we don't have the well worked and pretty looking hard stone artifacts.  This is a cool little piece, it is ground all the way around with flat edges on all four sides but the side with the smoothed out groove.  The back side shows some evidence of pecking, and may have also been used as a mano.  We find a lot of crude looking manos here, but I am not positive about this piece being a shaft abrader.  What do you all think???

I would say so.  Neat find. 
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Tyson
      I would say it is. A shaft straightener was used to straighten arrows and remove any ridges or bumps. The stick or reed was heated, placed in the grooves, and pulled straight.
      Jack
         Attached files 

Comment

Looks like one! However, wasnt the shaft abrading tool a two piece? A top and bottom stone? Neat find.-Cen. Ks.-Ken

Comment

I think it is too. Cool find

Comment

I haven't ever heard of a two piece, I'd love to see one though!

Comment

Ken
              I have seen some that were made that had a hole that the shaft would slid through. I saw one made of ivory made like that that was found in Alaska. Most of the ones I have seen are like the ones posted.
              Jack

Comment

Nice!

Comment

I would say for sure your right Tyson, Abrader. I have two that are made of gritty sandstone from here in KS. Mine are one piece but have seen pics. of other finds with top -and- bottom piece like Kenny said. Maybe mine had another piece but did not find. Will get pic. in a minute. Yours is nice find more than just abrader probably multi-tool. Joe.

Comment

Neat find Tyson!

Comment

Thanks for your input everyone, I was a little hesitant to post it, but the groove is oh so smooth  Looks pretty close to what you have there Joe, those are cool tools!

Comment

Yes  Tyson I think just as cool as points or blades or any kind of tool. The smaller one had foot prints all around it. Know they were artifact hunters but think they were just looking for pointed objects not artifacts. Both mine were creek finds not major waterways after high water. Good hunting Joe!

Comment

Has anyone ever seen one round?? I have a friend who has one that is roughly shaped like a large acorn and has a wear mark at the widest part all the way around. Next time I run into him I will ask him if I can get a pic of it. The wear is identical to all the ones on this thread. Cool find Tyson. When I get squared around I want some prices on your art work for my artifact room as well. THanks-Bill

Comment

I haven't seen any round ones, but I have a friend that found one that was circular, but more of a loaf stone shape.  I will get some pics of his, it's awesome!  Let me know anytime you need some art work, I have plenty of prints and a lot of different stuff.  Thanks Bill!

Comment

Tyson - Nice find.  Like finding ancient sandpaper.  I probably would be one of those leaving the foot prints and never finding passing over what you found. :laugh: ---Chuck
                              Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Working...
                              X