I have an arrowhead possibly a spearhead need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have an arrowhead possibly a spearhead need help

Hey guys I'm new here, I've found several arrowheads growing up, but this one always was the one I never knew what it really was. Trying to put a value to this one as I have several people interested in purchasing it, but haven't made up my mind if I should sale it or not. I found it about 15 years ago or more. Any help would be awesome!

I dont know much about southern coastal points, but I think what you learn will make you happy. That my friend is a beauty.

Comment

Thanks, I know that it would be Cherokee, we have found close to 100 points within a 8-10 acre area. Our place has about an 8 acre pond and the river is only 1/2 a mile down the road. So we are sure that there was a settlement on our property. When we first moved there we found 32 points from the dirt where they dug our light pole hole.

Comment

Very nice point.  Looks kinda like a Wade.  My advice would be to keep it.

Comment

Nice looking point. Are you in southern Georgia? There is a type named after a county in northern Florida which is found there and mostly into the southern parts of Georgia. If that's the case, and I'm not all that familiar with your area typology, but a quick search I'm finding it could be a Alachua point which would predate any arrow use and make it either an atlatl projectile or it could have been used as a knife as well. That particular point would be from the late archaic time frame, which also predates any known "tribal" affiliation as we know it. Again, this info is wildly subjective and I could be totally wrong but it sure looks like the ones I've seen.
          Oh, where's my manners......welcome!!
          Show us your other artifacts as well!!
          Southern Connecticut

Comment

Yes it is from South Georgia, about 32 miles from the Georgia/ Florida line.

Comment

georgiaboy83 wrote:

Thanks, I know that it would be Cherokee, we have found close to 100 points within a 8-10 acre area. Our place has about an 8 acre pond and the river is only 1/2 a mile down the road. So we are sure that there was a settlement on our property. When we first moved there we found 32 points from the dirt where they dug our light pole hole.
                 :welcome: from Rhode Island. It's just as cgode said with respect to tribal affiliation. Your site could well be multi component, meaning occupation at different periods of the prehistoric past. That's a very nice point. I don't believe the value would be super high if you sold it; not something you could get rich on, but it's well above field grade quality and attractive.
              I inserted the photos for you. Just place your cursor where you want the enlargement to appear, then click the "insert" tab.
              Rhode Island

Comment

CMD can you give me an idea of what kind of value it has, because I have no clue and I don't want to get taken!

Comment

georgiaboy83 wrote:

CMD can you give me an idea of what kind of value it has, because I have no clue and I don't want to get taken!
                    Gosh, that's tough for me because I don't collect points from your region. I should think under $100 for certain. Should be well under that. If somebody said  $50, I'd let it go if it didn't mean anything personal to me. It's worth what you can get, and I have zero experience collecting from your region. Tom Clark is from Florida, and there are other folks here from down your way. I would rather they weighed in on value, and maybe they will. Hope this helps somewhat to explain what I mean by "you won't get rich on it".
                  If it were a very rare style, might change the equation; but I doubt very much it is a rare style.
                  Rhode Island

Comment

Posted by [yakman83]:

Its looks like a Marion, Newnan, or Hillsborough. These three types however have contracting stems and yours doesn't seem to contact. The lithic looks to be fossilized coral. these are just my guesses from FL. Do some research from there. Nice points. Ive heard a lot of stories about land in GA with lots of goodies. I would be out there everyday if it were me.

Comment

if  it is newnan, and of coral, it has alot going for it IMO.

Comment

That is a nice looking point. Yup it looks a little  like coral too. Yakman mentioned three types I think it would be safe to remove Hillsborough from that list because they tend to have a swept back set of barbs like batwings..  The other two have contracting stems and are very similar to each other. I have read comments that the same people made both those type but then again in Bullens Florida Typology book it says Newnan is Middle Archaic and Marion is late archaic.
                        Diffidently a tough call on the typology. Nce material and maybe grade 7-8 no way 9-10
                        If it were mine I would go with Newan
                        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Looks like a Marion or Newnan to me.  I'm by no means an expert but that's the closest thing in the gulf coast region in the overstreet guide to me.

Comment

I am a beginner but kinda looks like a narrow steamed adena to me but not sure

Comment

Newnan, possibly reworked stem

Comment

Working...
                              X