Some Kind of Pipe? Authentic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Kind of Pipe? Authentic?

Do you guys think this is authentic, if so what is it?  Looks like some kind of pipe to me.  Thanks again for helping this amateur.

Hi Stoogeco
    Since it is completelyunrelated to the bone hide-scraper I have moved it here and given it a more appropriate title.
    You can bring your pictures up from thumbnails to full-size by using the "Insert" button after you have uploaded the pictures and befre you click "submit". I've done it for you here. 
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I can't give an opinion on if that's authentic or not but I bet some more pics would be helpful to the more knowledgeable people here. Try taking some pictures outside in natural sunlight at different angles and maybe try to get some straight on shots of the holes too. Important thing is, they have to be in focus. Use the cameras macro setting if it has one for close ups and make sure the camera actually focuses on the area of detail, not your fingers or something in the background. Digital pictures are free, take a bunch and just use the really crisp ones. Cool pipe by the way, hope it's old. Looks old.
      Rick, East Central Missouri

Comment

No doubt that it's a pipe: what's the story behind it?
        If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

It resembles the form of a Great Pipe. I too would like to see better pics but to be honest, I am skeptical
          Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Is the material banded slate? Looks like some banding in first pic left side.

Comment

Skeptical is the word, too much wrong not enough right. That's not banded slate and it looks more like somebody painted those lines.
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Comment

This is how the inside of the stem should look. there should be rings showing all the way to the bolw from mouth piece.  take a flashlite ,shine it in the bowl and look down the stem.   this is what I learned from reading  a lot, I mean a lot about great pipes.  I inserted the link to show you,, here it is.  http://www.arrowheads.com/index.php/...&childforums=1

Comment

Etched, not painted, thanks for the pics. Still a tough call, if it's real it's been in the water for a long time.
                    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

The pipe does look old, and reminiscent of Laswell's Great Pipe: which doesn't mean a thing. Stone can be aged by an acid bath, then a patina
                      can be layered on in many forms.  I'd take it to an authenticator for closer inspection. I'm assuming it's a purchased piece.
                      If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Posted by [GarScale]:

If all those rare items came from the same place, I would be skeptical of all of them. If it was just the pipe, I would tend to think it was old.

Comment

Looks like sandstone. Or limestone? Maybe. Rings in holes won't show up as well in those materials.
                          Rhode Island

Comment

It is sandstone

Comment

Here are photos of the tag that was on it. I found it on the bottom of the box. It gives it some provenance.

Comment

Working...
                              X