inheritance-unusual looking stone indian artifacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inheritance-unusual looking stone indian artifacts

We recently inherited several framed arrhowheads/points and other artifacts that were collected by our uncle years ago from several states.  Do not know where exactly any are from and are just beginning to educate ourselves about them.  Attached are 6 pictures (further away and close ups) of the more unusual looking items that we haven't been able to identify.  They are glued into shadowboxes so couldn't photograph from other angles, sorry.   Just hoping someone knows what they were used for.

Hi Unclejack and welcome to the forum.
    There might be a couple of authentic points in that second frame (difficult to say without better close-ups) but I'm doubtful since everything else unfortunately seems to be a nice collection of modern knapping art... probably made in the 1950's or thereabouts and sold in that era as "genuine Indian relics".
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

He said he collected them all himself but who knows...it was before we were born.  We have 18 frames of stuff...just posted the most unusual looking things.  Thanks!

Comment

painshill wrote:

Hi Unclejack and welcome to the forum.
        There might be a couple of authentic points in that second frame (difficult to say without better close-ups) but I'm doubtful since everything else unfortunately seems to be a nice collection of modern knapping art... probably made in the 1950's or thereabouts and sold in that era as "genuine Indian relics".
        Painshill has pretty much nailed it. My only dissenting comment is that I see NO authentic examples in what you have posted. As he said, they are all the product of modern knappers. This is pretty common in many old time collections. Maybe post some of the more mundane things and hopefully there are some "good" pieces.
        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

some more pics...sets of 2...one further away and a close up.  thanks for any tips!

Comment

Those first big ones are modern,  and some of the smaller ones,  but they're a little harder to see.   So,  if he said he found them all,  and most are modern,  would have
            to guess all of them are.  There may be some that are authentic.  If so,  it would be nice to get them out of the fakes and in their own frame.   Thanks for sharing.
            South Dakota

Comment

The second group of pics, 3rd photo and down looks like those may be the ones he collected/found while out hunting for artifacts but most of them above in photos do look like eccentric modern pieces.
              The 2 bipointed blades are nice looking!
              http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Posted by [GarScale]:

All the big stuff is modern. Its probably about the age Painshill said. Pretty neat art work and may have some value as such.

Comment

All all appear modern to me.

Comment

Working...
                  X