South Texas finds- Are they anything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Texas finds- Are they anything?

These items were found with several others in South Central Texas- Bexar County- I am wondering if they are anything.
    They appear to be very crudely worked large flakes but I would like the experts opinion.  When found, they were covered with a thick layer of calcium, one still has some of the deposit. 
    I thought they were large knapping flakes and put them in my garden, alot of the calcium came off and I noticed then they resembled  tools. I removed the rest of the calcium by soaking them in a weak vinegar solution.  Some of them also still have part of the core. I picked several to show you but have several different more specimens.
    I did not want to overload with pictures.  If you need more please let me know.
    If they are tools- what period or culture would they be from?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  I am still learning this fantastic hobby.

Looks like it, maybe worth returning there.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

There may be a couple of quickly made/used/discarded tools in the group, referred to as "expedient tools". There is evidence that some flakes were removed from some so I would tend to lean more towards cores. Either way, there is no diagnostic features that would allow to narrow down a time frame like you had asked. I would return to the area and take a closer look for what it's worth though.....good luck.
      Southern Connecticut

Comment

May be a quarry site?
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thanks for the info- I am submitting a few more  item photos from the same location.  Maybe these are blanks?
          The third photo left - the long brown and white flake appears to have chipping along both edges of one side. 
          Again- Thanks for any information.

Comment

looks like quite a mix of cherts there, and alot, you definetly got an eye for the material! theres gotta be some artifacts around the area, maybe like Greg said, a quarry site? do you find alot of small  and tiny flakes there too?
            call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Lots of flakes and 1 good point.  Here are some other photos. The two smaller flakes appear to be worked. photos are bad since it is cloudy today in South Texas.  I also included a couple other finds from the same area. Again thanks.

Comment

kinda hard to tell from the pic, but yer last pic/piece may be a broken drill?
                call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Working...
                X