Help identifying these 3 pieces.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying these 3 pieces.

If this is the wrong forum for this lemme know and move please. These are 3 pieces of my collection all personal finds. Don't know a lot about types ages at all and little time to learn as I prefer to hunt and hoard.
    All were found in East Tennessee in different locations. A local muesuem had a age display showing the side notched as oldest from this area. If anyone knows anything the info would be appreciated. Knowledgeable people here.

Nice finds, a bit out of my area but up here you might type them as hopewell,hemphill and kramer.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Thanks. I'll do some looking up. I have hit a few muesuems including McClung Muesuem on UT campus. They have an amazing collection but comparing those to field points is hard. We got a pretty good age display at a local muesuem but no typing. The side notched similar to that one were around 7000 bc. That's what peaked my interest in it.

Comment

Neat, yep could be an exhausted graham cave! Could be a woodland point also though :laugh: Sorry someone from your area may be of more help most likely.
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

:welcome: from east Tn!
          Hey buddy there's all ways time to learn something new! Trust me, the "hunting and hoarding"  is only half the fun!
               Cool finds! I will give you some ideas as to types,  but I hope you follow up and use this site to expand your knowledge!  That first one to me looks like a Jude point, I've got one very similar that was found here in east Tn, by my grandfather.  I would call the middle one A Palmer, and the last one looks like a Bradley spike. I could be wrong , so look em' up and let me know what you think? Thanks for showing em, and feel free to show us some more!
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Ya I've got more I'll share. I got a couple in mind already.
            Thanks for that I'm gonna do research on those types. Resources are hard to find. Human knowledge is way more valuable. I'll get back. Thanks tons. Glad there is some East TN on here too.

Comment

That middle one could very well be a Jacks Reef I had one just like that I gave to a fellow forum member.I will see if I can come up with the old picture.
              The Palmer and the Jacksreef can be very similar but Jacks Reef corner notch is sometimes pentagonal in outline. Tell tale sign of Palmer is a lot of them are serrated edged and the stem on a Palmer is always heavily ground. When I say this and because you are new to Identification the edges of the base wiii have been smoothed down this added strength to the point when it was bound to the shaft. It also would lessen the likelihood of the bindings being cut by the sharp edges.
              Be right back going to hunt the picture of the one I gave away. By the way that black flint is called Knox Chert
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

A few image searches and I got some answers. I didn't realize the age of my artifacts. Here's some Palmers of mine and what I guess is a Kanawha.
                Lemme do some more reading. It just got bit more interesting. Thanks tons. I'm dusting off my hoard.

Attached files 

Comment

Lemme do some more reading. It just got bit more interesting. Thanks tons. I'm dusting off my hoard.
                      :rolf:  That's what I'm talking about!!!
                  Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Also Hoss I think your correct on Jack's Reef. I got it's baby brother here too. Then a Bradley Spike in Milky Quartz.
                       Attached files 

Comment

Hmmm every time I add a photo it erases my message?
                      Anyways you all could be right those very well may be Jacks Reefs.especially that last one.  I thought I saw a hint of serrations on that first black one that made me think Palmer.
                      That last quartz point could be a morrow mountain.  I have a few, trying to upload photos.
                      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Made from Chalcedony
                        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Those are beautiful quartz pieces. Most from here are broken tip or in half. I got mostly black flint pieces or grey. That long milky quartz one looks ancient. It's actually worn from being in water like a slick. I've always favored it even with a broke tip. I'll look that type up. It looks like the base is rounded.

Comment

Arrowheads.com - Largest Indian Artifact Website on the Internet. You can find Native American arrowheads for sale. Buy and sell Indian relics online.

Your correct Kyflintguy. It is a morrowmountain. Awesome. Thanks everyone iI've learned a lot. I got a few pieces I'm curious about I'll put up tom.

Comment

that chalcedony one is awesome  hmy:

Comment

Working...
                              X