What is this??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this??

Hi!  My sister found this in Southern Missouri.  What is it?  We are thinking some kind of Indian Artifact?  Are we wrong?

In my honest opinion it is a flint  hammer stone.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thanks Hoss!  I thought maybe that or some sort of grinding stone?

Comment

Hoss wrote:

In my honest opinion it is a flint  hammer stone.
          No question about it in my view... and a well-used one too (although a closer examination of the lithic may reveal that it's not flint/chert).
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I'm not there to feel it and see it.  But, I asked her if it was flint.  She said it didn't look like it?  She says looking close it is a gold color.  Her husband thinks it is a geode.

Comment

I wouldn't rule out a geode since they often look like that on the outside. Ask her if it feels lighter than she expects it to be. A more hollow geode would be lighter, but a more solid geode would have the expected heft of a normal rock. Of course, even if it is a geode that doesn't mean it wasn't used as a hammer stone. (Personally, I think that would make it extra cool!) I'm arriving at my conclusion as a geologist with an interest in archaeology. The former is my expertise, but I'm still eagerly learning about the latter. 

Comment

Working...
            X