New pictures of possible paleo point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New pictures of possible paleo point

Does it have basal grinding? It could be a Fox Creek point. In your frames you showed the other day I saw many Fox Creek type points and stems Some Fox Creek points will have no shoulders and be in the Lanceolate form like this one.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

What's basal grinding? Still learning new stuff everyday haha but most of what I find is fox creek so wouldn't be a surprise

Comment

Dakota basal grind is noted along the edges of the point across the base. and partially up the lateral edges on paleo. You can see it one other later archaic points as well across the base and in the notches. Get your self a 10X   Jewelers loupe and really start looking at your baled and base edges.
        I will try and get some pictures together tomorrow and show what I mean.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I agree with Hoss on the ID - classic Fox Creek.
          I've seen 'em misrepresented as paleo many a time on Flea-Bay.

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

The blade edge crisp and sharp but lower end where hafted or attached smoothed/ground to not cut lashing. You can feel and see it.
            Heres a fuzzy pic of ground base.

Nice looking lance point!
            http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Learn something new everyday!  Thanks for the info Hoss and Olden! Great find Dakota!
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Basil grinding is easy to tell, the edge is smooth. It would not cut the sinew. As my dad said it would not cut butter even if it  knife was hot .
                here is a pic of basil grinding.

Attached files 
                Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

That point is amazing, what an increadible find!  That said, regarding Fox Creek, according to Gary Fogelman's "Projectile Point Typeology for Pennsylvania and the Northeast", "Basal and edge griding may be present on non-argillite specimens," which this appears to be.  Now I know at least one respected archeologist who isn't a big fan of this publication but I can't disagree.  What I mean is that grinding would not automatically make this a paleo.
                  New Jersey

Comment

Great find. I tend to agree that it is likely Fox Creek. I am curious to know if that point might be yellow jasper that has been discolored from being in ocean water for a long time. I will re-post one I found here in Maryland when the daughter gets off my computer. Same shape, basal grinding, but not nearly as well defined flaking.

Comment

In his New England typology, Jeff Boudreau said, regarding Fox Creek Lanceolate, "Some examples have delicate basal ears."
                      I have found this to be the case personally, as well, and, as with other styles, often only one ear is fashioned. Your example looks like it has a slight ear.....
                      An earlier name for a Fox Creek was Steubanville. In these examples from NY, you can see a single ear on examples 4 and 6:

Rhode Island

Comment

Here is a Maryland Fox Creek with a less common "nipple."

Comment

First Fox creek I've seen here.  Thanks for sharing it.
                          South Dakota

Comment

Here is some earlier discussion about ground stem bases with pictures.
                            A lot of points Ive looked at online look like nice stuff. The few I have purchased, everyone asks, are the bases ground. Why do they ask that. I suppose it...

Comment

I'm with robshap.  Yellow jasper is definately possible considering the observable yellow bits.   Minerals in the sea water have discolored the point!  Better pictures could confirm this!
                              New Jersey

Comment

Working...
                              X