Another Bison Killer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Bison Killer?

Ok, so here is another one of my fun finds.  I learned that my other two littler ones killed Bisons....so amazing to me!  Do you think this one did too?  Also, the tip seems to be broken, do you think it was from the hunt hitting a bone, or just happened to be broken from other reasons?

It is likely impact damage but there's no easy way to say if if hit an animal, a tree, or was simply dropped, trodden on or whatever.
    Coming back to bison... it is the case that points this size will bring down an animal of that size and at many bison jumps on the upper plains regions of North America, "bird points" are the only points found. But these points were multi-purpose and used for hunting all sizes of animal up to and including Bison.
    More info here, including an interesting video of penetration testing:
    Microlithic points are colloquially known as "bird points", leading to an assumption that they were used to hunt birds or very small game. Enough microlithic...

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

That is what I call a Harold point. Those are sweet points to find. those tri-notched points are one of my favorites to find. here is one I found. for weather it actually killed or was broken another way it would be hard to tell.
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

chase wrote:

Harold point!
          Very nice point Chase.
        I'm not familiar with that point name, are you perhaps meaning to call it a Harrell point?

Comment

[QUOTE]11KBP wrote:

Originally posted by chase post=139056
          Harold point!
            Very nice point Chase.
          I'm not familiar with that point name, are you perhaps meaning to call it a Harrell point?
          LMAO 11KBP I am blind in one eye and cant see out of the other. I have always called them Harold points, but I bow down to a  Harrell point. Your vast experience I respect.
          Thank you I stand corrected.

Comment

You guys are all great!!  Thanks so much for your help!

Comment

That's another Desert Side Notch, AKA Desert Sierra. It's possible it was used to hunt bufflers but it could of been shot at just about any critter they were hunting. It's a pretty point and nice material too.

Comment

There are a number of names for nearly identical tri-notched arrow points. Harrell, Desert Side Notch, some of the Cahokia specimens, Plains Tri-Notch (Taylor) and Frison simply calls them Late Prehistoric tri-notched points. The general area of distribution determines what name should be applied to the point.
                In the case of the point submitted by hotrodmom the Desert Side Notch as mentioned by arrow719 would be the most appropriate name.

Comment

11KBP wrote:

There are a number of names for nearly identical tri-notched arrow points. Harrell, Desert Side Notch, some of the Cahokia specimens, Plains Tri-Notch (Taylor) and Frison simply calls them Late Prehistoric tri-notched points. The general area of distribution determines what name should be applied to the point.
                  In the case of the point submitted by hotrodmom the Desert Side Notch as mentioned by arrow719 would be the most appropriate name.
                  The Cahokia are Triangles The Tri notched points a western point.

Comment

[QUOTE]chase wrote:

Originally posted by 11KBP post=139120
                    The Cahokia are Triangles The Tri notched points a western point.
                      Some Cahokia specimens are very similar to the western tri-notched points.

Comment

I really like that type.  Nice ones.

Comment

I'm curios to know if points break easily/frequently when they miss the target and just hit the hard ground. I'm sure someone has tested this.

Comment

I hunt with a self bow. Arrows are river cane tipped with arrowheads I knapped myself. I use glass because I have no source of lithic material. They are surprisingly durable. I only break them when they hit bone, and no surprise, they look just like the impact fractures we find in the field.
                          People think I\'m depressed because I always have my eyes on the ground.

Comment

i too knapp and make self bows,cant hunt with stone points here in minnesota
                            however, i have tested them by shooting at a wooden fence
                            the arrows were made from red osier( a material the natives in this area would have used )
                            the heads held up quite well,no damage to them after 4 shots each(6 arrows) into the fence
                            the heads were made out of various materials, burlington,keokuk,obsidion, and flint river
                            the weak point was the shafts,one broke on its fourth impact into the fence
                            all of these were shot from a 55# hickory self bow at 15 yds

Comment

You may be interested in “Wear Traces and Projectile Impact: A Review of the Experimental and Archaeological Evidence” by John Dockall at Texas A&M University:

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
                              X