No announcement yet.

Is this a discoidal Indian game stone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a discoidal Indian game stone?

It was in a box of my husband's grandmother's things. She passed away years ago and i am just now figuring out that this could be an Indian artifact.  If it is real then i am sure she found it in the Wakenda Missouri area, or somewhere in Carroll County, Mo. because she loved looking for arrowheads and thats where she usually looked for them. but....it could just be something she came across somewhere and could be fake??? i don't know?

I am not the expert on lithics here but that is a beautiful piece you have there. :woohoo:
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

I can't judge authenticity for you but, yes, that is a discoidal...
      Rhode Island

Comment

Rbray3, your husband's grandmother collected some nice things!
        LITHIC ARTIFACTS, TECHNOLOGY & MATERIALS - Gamestones, Charmstones & Effigy Items - Artifact Forum | Arrowheads.com...

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Nice looking discoidal stone. I doubt anyone could give you an authentication from pictures.  I would suggest sending it to Jerry Dicky if you want it authenticated  http://www.jerrydickey.net/Auth01.htm
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

yes she did Olden, she also collected stamps, matchbooks, rocks, antique items, and more 

Comment

Thank you Hoss i will look into that...

Comment

I agree with Hoss that hardstone item such as this are hard to authenticate from a pic but it looks like a good old Discoidal form where I am sitting.
                Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Yes and that is one bad a** lithic!

Comment

I would sure love to find one of those.  Do you know anyone that knows for sure your grandmother found it?  That would authenticate it.
                    South Dakota

Comment

Posted by [Hi-Lo]:

Amazing artifact.
                      Gorgeous material.
                      Thank you for sharing.

Comment

no i don't  wish i did know more about it

Comment

It looks authentically pecked with the right amount of polishing to me too (ie not over-polished). There's a good article in our Information Centre on fake discoidals and how to distinguish from the real deal, here:

Your looks like what the author refers to as the "Salt River type" (Fig. AP/DE6 towards the bottom of the page) found primarily in Illinois and Missouri... so that would tie in with your recollection of what your grandma told you.

Location, location, location! Such an important part of the story for the prospect of an identification.
                          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
                          X