Any info on these marbles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any info on these marbles?

It seems that you have found some very old marbles rbray3. This is an excerpt from one of the marble sites that are out there.
    Nice finds there. Did you find these along a creek? Or were you sifting dirt in a screen?
    "Clay marbles fired in a kiln with a blue salt glaze manufactured in Germany during the late 1800's. 'Eyes' mark where marbles touched during firing."

Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Thank you, they were my husband's grandmothers. She was a collector of alot of things, kinda like i am becoming, toooo many collections to keep up with, lol. but not sure where she came across them at.  Thanks for the info!

Comment

Painhill's excellent post on 'Balls & Spheres' may have some further info. you'd be interested in.

MARBLES Yes, marbles are artefacts… they’re just not Native American artefacts, and they may not be very old. Marbles as we know them were first made in
        If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

oh great, thanks!

Comment

it says the earliest ones were made of wood.. i have some wood ones also

Comment

Cool my man found one just like the blue ones when he dug up an indian while installing a new water main in Idaho then I found one at one of our hunting spots next to his house in the farmers field -and- my hunting buddy found one on another campsite 30 miles from from my field find and his son found one at another campsite we hunt all roughly 30 to 40 miles apart!   :woohoo:  cool finds indeed

Comment

The mottled blue and brown ones are called Benningtons I believe.https://www.google.com/search?q=benn...2F%3B764%3B794
                Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

i clicked on a pic on the images and found this, and they have free appraisals for marbles, just send a pic and they will tell you what they are worth     http://www.buymarbles.com/german_han..._nonglass.html

Comment

Working...
                  X