What type of point is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of point is this?

Found this little gray point yesterday here in Colorado and I am really curious as to what type of point it is? Anybody know? I had one person tell me it looked more modern because of the flaking so now I am really curious.
    It's a lot different than other pieces I have been finding at this same site.
    First  photos is the backside which is more worn

side

the last 2 are the front side
    Had to take pictures of it under a magnifying glass to get the detail to show.
    Thanks for any input.

Darn near impossible to type without the base. Typically the shape and style of the base gives you most of the information about a point and it's age. How the point is knapped can also play a part in this as well as lithics sometimes. What he was saying is that it is a more recent point than the other. It is a real arrowhead and rather than being thousands of years old may only be hundreds of years old.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thanks gregszybala!
      Just trying learn as I go. Pretty amazing that all of my finds have been from this one site and there are so many different things there as far as types and time periods. You would think as man progressed that the more recent point would be even better than the ones from thousands of years ago; that their workmanship would have become better. I guess as long as it accomplished what they needed it to it was fine. Pretty fascinating stuff.

Comment

Definitely not enough of that piece there to type, but I'm sure it would've been a real beauty.

Comment

Your friend knows your types and region far better then I do. But, the flaking to me makes me think at least Archaic in age, older rather then younger. Isn't that early flaking? It looks like oblique transverse? I am out on a limb here, chase could help here. It's true you can't expect to ID this point, it's only a tip. But he could probably know if it's Paleo, Archaic, or Woodland....
          Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
          X