X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field Work Find

in my opinion
    doesnt look worked,looks like a natural rock

not saying that you dont know your rocks,because obviously you do being a geologist
    but i am not seeing any percussion bulbs that would indicate that a person had knocked flakes of of it
    im no geologist,but i do flint knapp
    these bulbs are always present whether the material has been reduced from percussion or pressure flaking,and regardless of what kind of tool was used to work the material i.e. hammer stones,antler billets,wood billets or even copper billets

Comment

I would question whether this was ever worked intentionally by humans.  I know the metamorphic and igneous rocks in North Carolina have different fracture characteristics from that of chert---and i have seen a lot of those artifacts and the fractures on them.  Doubtful---respectfully submitted.

Comment

Whenever I am lucky enough to find a dacite outcropping, this is what my cores end up looking like. major respect for those who can successfully knap our North Carolina stone.
        People think I\'m depressed because I always have my eyes on the ground.

Comment

I'm not sure why you ask those on this site what you've found,  when your archeologist friends have already given you the answer.   :dunno:
          South Dakota

Comment

SDhunter wrote:

I'm not sure why you ask those on this site what you've found,  when your archeologist friends have already given you the answer.   :dunno:
              Well said Gary.

Comment

Pele wrote:

I finally had a chance to have the archaeologists take a look at this, and they concluded it was a worked piece that had been reduced for transport or trade. So, it's a blank. 
                I stand by my earlier assessment.  The guys here have it right.

Comment

Working...
              X