Spoke shave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spoke shave?

Ive found so many artifacts.....I don't want to know how many spoke shaves I've thrown back, not knowing they were anything worth keeping. So here I am posting a pic of a possible spoke shave ...what do ya think? Am I'm off base?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2015-01-18-6 [replaced].jpg
Views:	42
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	207638

I don't think it is a spokeshave.

Comment

Hey Clay, I have a couple of spokeshaves that have very fine flaking. That's not to say that all spokeshaves have fine work. It would be interesting to see what other members have for spokeshaves.

Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Here's a couple of Neolithic multi-tools incorporating a spoke-shave feature. They're the nicest ones I have and were made from the same material, off the Sussex Downs:

Over here, we call this feature an "encoche" (literally "notch"), enbracing several potential uses such as bark-stripping, spoke-shave and bone-carving. As Ron says, they may have very fine flaking, unsuited to heavy-duty use.
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I don't see one Clay the inside edge would show some flaking like the outer edge of a scraper.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Doesn't appear to be one to me.

Comment

Ok....I haven't thrown anything like that away, nor would I , maybe I havnt come across that many after all! Thanks, I'll keep my eye out for something like those.

Comment

Found this today....definitely worked.....is this a spoke shave? Looks closer to what y'all have posted.

Comment

is that inside edge beveled?  It is hard to se that material. maybe if you try wetting it the flake scars will show up?
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

It appears to have some fine edge flaking on that edge Clay, although the material itself in the pic makes it difficult to see in the pic. I would say yes, you have yourself a spokeshave there.
                    Southern Connecticut

Comment

Hoss wrote:

is that inside edge beveled?  It is hard to se that material. maybe if you try wetting it the flake scars will show up?
                      Yes it's beveled, and I believe slightly worked....your right it is hard to see with this material.

Comment

This might be a spoke shave

Comment

Working...
                        X