Beaverlake ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beaverlake ?

A partner of mine was thinning out his collection and I got this.

Not sure but it does look a lot like our rice shallow side notched points. Nice looking point, shame about the corner.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Friends at Sun Watch archeological site suggested a Fish spear or a greenbrier. I've never seen a Fish spear like that. The ones I have in my collection don't look like that.

Comment

I've saw quite a few similar style "points"  in my experience with collecting.  I always scratch my head when I see these. I can't remember Wich thread but someone else posted one a while back very very similar. I know most artifact dealers do not hesitate to call these "Beaver Lakes" :huh: I however have a hard time seeing what you have their as a Paleo lance :dunno: That's just my gut speaking,  and I'm not real sure of the proper I.d for these?... but when and if I ever figure that out I will let you know, because I'm curious myself.
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

You are correct about artifact dealers. You don't know how many times I have seen that at artifact shows. I would love to see other examples. Please post. Fish spears are a common point for the area so the possibility stands.

Comment

GC: Nice point you have there. Could be a Beaver Lake. Sure has some of the characteristics of Beaver Lakes. It is biconvex or median ridged, recurvate (but not much) with an acute distal end (again not very acute). Beaver Lakes usually have incurvate bases but according to the guys who named the point (Cambron and Hulse) they can sometimes have straight bases. When I think of Beaver Lakes I think "Cumberland without a flute" which is what they kinda look like. The Beaver Lakes I've seen look somewhat like an unfluted Cumberland, except stubbier looking. Not having it in hand, I would not argue against it being a Beaver Lake because it seems to meet the basic criteria. I only wish that it had a strongly incurvate base. I also wish I had a friend or partner who would give me a 10,000 year old point even if one of the auricles was broken off. :laugh:

Comment

Gemcity wrote:

Friends at Sun Watch archeological site suggested a Fish spear or a greenbrier. I've never seen a Fish spear like that. The ones I have in my collection don't look like that.
              Hey Gemcity!   If you get a chance please ask them if this may be a fish spear.

And if you can share some information on them
              http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

In my honest opinion that is not a fish spear. I wonder if the person trying to describe it to you  just threw that out there based on the fishtailed appearance?
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Usually Beaver lakes have long thinning strikes or short flute like thinning. Thinner than that normally and collateral flaking or ribbon flaking (paleo flaking). Constricting lancelote  I would consider your point side notched. Archaic.

Comment

And ground halting 1/3 up.

Comment

There were two guys there one leaning toward fish spear one leaning toward greenbrier then it came down to that without knowing what strata it came out of we may never know. What is that material ?

Comment

After reading the 2 posts by Mmpoff76 I think I kinda go along with him. Maybe I was trying to "make it fit" because of some of the attributes of the point seem to barely meet some of the distinguishing criteria for Beaver Lakes and I don't have the point in hand. Like I said, It really needs to have a strongly incurvate base since the other characteristics are so "iffy'. A side notched Archaic point of some variety might be the best call.

Comment

It's ground to the top of the shallow notches.

Comment

That sounds good. I'll post a really nice uniface or some sort of knife tomorrow. It was one I wanted for a long time.

Comment

Example of beaver lake notice the flaking style.

Comment

Working...
                              X