Today's find, but what is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's find, but what is it?

Found in Logan count Kentucky ,, today :woohoo: It was a good day for a stroll though the woods. Now i am strolling threw books and pitchers. :dunno: . The best i have come up with is some kind f knife. Any ideas? Before my imagination leads me to think i have another mini hawk head

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2015-01-22 [replaced].jpg
Views:	37
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	207582

Name:	image_2015-01-22-2 [replaced].jpg
Views:	34
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	207583

Name:	image_2015-01-22-3 [replaced].jpg
Views:	35
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	207584

Name:	image_2015-01-22-4 [replaced].jpg
Views:	25
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	207585

Name:	image_2015-01-22-5 [replaced].jpg
Views:	36
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	207586

Name:	image_2015-01-22-6 [replaced].jpg
Views:	38
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	207587

Thanks for any information

The hinge flakes has me puzzled . Was this a surface find?
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

chase wrote:

The hinge flakes has me puzzled . Was this a surface find?
        ya them fingernail flakes look awfully fresh dont they

Comment

Found on a steep hillside with just part of it exposed,   It also has a strange fracture pattern on one side,  like it froze  or something .

Comment

uh oh
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

When I knap something, I run it under water and place in the freezer for a few hours to get rid of the fingernails. Interesting.
            People think I\'m depressed because I always have my eyes on the ground.

Comment

Could it be a fort ancient?
              There's something about kentucky finds, sometimes they look like texas finds? :dunno:
              I don't think he's pulling the wool guys..
              Good Find!
              http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Looks like fort ancient to me too.
                Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I just looked up fort ancient  blade,  it does like that, thanks  ,, but it would b my first piece from that time period,  maybe thats why i was struggling to  find  a comparison, i was looking  at  archaic  and woodland pieces,  like all my other finds from the same place .   If it is  that a long time frame that they visited the spring at the bottom of the hill.  Thanks

Comment

When you tell someone  that you dug a piece from the ground , they think you are up to no  good, so i don't say i dig.  Their are plenty of places to dig  that is not a burial  ground , why is it looked at as  bad?   I have  only been collecting for about 9 months,   I have read the laws  and digging is allowed , but  looked down on by most people,  why?   Iam not trying to mis lead you , just trying to keep the peace,,   The piece i found today partially  exposed  was from digging,  and only exposed to the elements for about a week.   I know nothing about hing flakes  or did know  nothing,  learn something new every day.

Comment

Nice looking point there. Just checked in after having been away for several hours and I haven't tried to identify it but I know what it is not. That is no Ft. Ancient. It's getting late here. Maybe I will try to see what I can make of it tomorrow. Hopefully somebody will ID it before then.

Comment

I just had a junior moment (as opposed to a senior moment which I usually get) or a fleeting memory from the past. It could be a Cobbs. Check your artifact ID books or google "cobbs point". Cobbs points are an indeterminate or questionable type that some folks don't recognize because apparently a lot of the experts can't agree on them because some folks think they are knives and others think they are or may be preforms for any of several early archaic recognized types. That's about the best I can do. Not having it in hand, I would just call it an Archaic knife and be done with it.

Comment

Hey Josh, If I found it in the Michigan I know what I would call it but I don't know Kentucky weather.
                          Michigan Yooper
                          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

It may be a Cobbs blade,  but the triangular form really reminds me of a Fort Ancient blade,  I use to have 3 really nice examples of Fort Ancient Blades from Northern Ky. One was made from a high quality Carter Cave,  Triangular shaped,  like Josh's,  yet wafer thin, no more than 1/4 inch at the thickest point. Much thinner than Cobbs. Not sure on this one as I don't have it in hand, but it reminds me of that type. I have been wrong before though.
                            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

The hinge fractures worry me.  The few times I have ever tried my hand at knapping (no art talent here), the "thing" I end up with looks crudely like that---hinge fractures and all.

Comment

Working...
                              X