Nebraska or Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nebraska or Ohio

My neighbor gave me this point. He said his dad gave it to him and said it was his grandfathers. The point may have found it in Nebraska when the family had a farm there but he wasn't sure. The point is 2" X 1 1/4" . The base and bottom of the shoulders are heavily ground. I haven't found to much on Nebraska arrowheads and I know a fair amount about Ohio artifacts. It doesn't quite match anything from Ohio so I have been leaning to Nebraska. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thats a nice point and pictures! Definitely nice to have the history with it also, Thanks!
    Beats me where from though, if i had to pick i would say nebraska. :laugh:
    Awesome
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

If anyone is wondering the white spots are glue from when it was in a picture frame. I will have to soak it in warm water to get the rest off.

Comment

If you would have posted it without mentioning Ohio, I would have said it looks like Kanawha Chert to me from Southeast Ohio and into West Virginia.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

I would have thought the same thing but there is a type of chert from that region that looks very similar. Here is a Lusk that is from Nebraska that was posted by greywolf22. Anyone know what this type of chert  is.

Attached files 

Comment

Gemcity wrote:

I would have thought the same thing but there is a type of chert from that region that looks very similar. Here is a Lusk that is from Nebraska that was posted by greywolf22.

If I was going on typology unless its extreme east I would go with Ohio. IMO and Clovisiod  would be who I would listen to.
            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Then what type of point would it be. Kirk, Fox valley, it is way to thick for most bifurcates. At least the ones I find. Maybe transitional ? I'm clueless. One of my friends said it was possibly a type of Thebes.

Comment

There is an Ohio type called a Heavy Duty, which is part of the Kirk Cluster.  They have that degree of thickness and that base, but they are usually resharpened differently (long -and- narrow, loosing width with each resharpening but maximizing the length.)
                My guess would be something related to a Kirk, it might very well have been a 4 or 5 inch piece that was resharpened down into what you have now which could explain the thickness.  But the material from Nebraska on the other point does look similar...
                Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

I was doing some reading and found a point that matches the point I have. It might be a Duncan. They are found in most of the high plains states including Nebraska. That's if it is from Nebraska. I talked to my neighbor and he is fairly certain that it was from Nebraska. He said the family never had a farm in Ohio. He said the farm was in north west Nebraska and they would find arrowheads all the time . As kids they would tie them to sticks and play cowboys and Indians . If it did come from Ohio it would have been found when his grandfather went fishing. They would cross a farm field to get to his favorite fishing hole.

Comment

Gemcity wrote:

I was doing some reading and found a point that matches the point I have. It might be a Duncan. They are found in most of the high plains states including Nebraska. That's if it is from Nebraska. I talked to my neighbor and he is fairly certain that it was from Nebraska. He said the family never had a farm in Ohio. He said the farm was in north west Nebraska and they would find arrowheads all the time . As kids they would tie them to sticks and play cowboys and Indians . If it did come from Ohio it would have been found when his grandfather went fishing. They would cross a farm field to get to his favorite fishing hole.
                    There is one thing I can tell you is it is not  a Duncan. Those point clusters which includes Hanna and Mallory apart of the Mckean complex are very thin. Also the shoulders and overall look is not correct. IMO
                    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

It's a shame I know the field that this could have come from. It's now owned by the park district I work for and they have let the field revert back to a natural state.the upside is the fishing hole still rocks. The field sits above a bend in the river and the water just swirls in a slow moving vortex. The catfish love it and just about everything else.

Comment

I could see this being an Ohio find, I'm not very familiar with Nebraska lithics though. Truth is without the finder you may never know for sure... A good clue would be to find similar lithic materials in the area there were you suspect it may have been found. You never know you may find this ones twin :dunno:
                        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

The only chance I got is of something erodes out of the riverbank. The field that this may have come out of is now owned by the park district and they are letting it revert to a natural state.

Comment

Gemcity wrote:

I haven't found to much on Nebraska arrowheads and I know a fair amount about Ohio artifacts. It doesn't quite match anything from Ohio so I have been leaning to Nebraska. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                              Seeing the little peanut butter-colored inclusions on your predominately black colored artifact suggests that it could be Zaleski chert from Ohio.

Comment

This is a neat topic!   :woohoo:
                              http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Working...
                              X