White Clay Pipe depicting Wallace Monument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Clay Pipe depicting Wallace Monument

This pipe has been in the family for generations but I only rediscovered it recently. I have contacted a forum member and he has offered the information below and suggested posting the photos for all to see and comment.
    The Wallace monument itself however was completed in 1869, so that’s the earliest date for your pipe. McDougall was a Glasgow maker established in 1846 at 226 Parliamentary Road as “The Glasgow Pipe Manufactory” and trading as “Duncan McDougall” but the trading name of the company was changed to “D. McDougall and Co.” in 1871. So, if your pipe doesn’t have the “and Co.” (or “& Co.”) after the name then that likely puts it in the very narrow time frame of 1869-1871. McDougall was a bulk supplier to the Hudson’s Bay Company from 1847 onwards, so it’s not unusual to find his pipes in Canada
    I live in Canada but my ancestors were from Scotland.

Welcome to the forum. That's as nice a pipe as you'll see anywhere and as you indicated has clearly never been used. On that basis, I would bet it was produced as a commemorative souvenir at the time the monument was opened to the public in 1869.
    Even today they sell things like plaster busts of Wallace, miniature replicas of his sword as letter-openers, medals saying you climbed the 246 steps and such... but that's clearly a contemporary item. I wonder if anyone has seen another example? It might be a scarce item and of interest to a collector.
    Thanks for showing it.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Welcome Quint,
      Beautiful pipe, thanks for sharing it with us

Comment

Hey Quinte, We have seen lots of clay pipes on this forum but never saw one as decorated as that. Nice pipe and thanks for sharing the pictures.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Museum quality piece WOW. :woohoo:
          Bruce
          In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

:welcome: from Rhode Island. I agree that's as nice as they get!
            Rhode Island

Comment

Like your pipe.

Comment

Welcome Quinte and thanks for bringing the pipe here!
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome and I'll reiterate.....very nice pipe!
                  Southern Connecticut

Comment

B) very cool heirloom!
                    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Working...
                    X