What did i find 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did i find 1

Hi everyone i am new to this and not sure what i dug up here. I am in  Georgia near a pretty big creek bryer creek i have read that the Creek and Cherokee lived here. The hole goes through it bigger hole on one side.
    i would appreciate any input. Thank you

The hole is natural not man made.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Sorry Ron is right but keep looking and  :welcome: from east Texas
      east Tx.

Comment

Quartz "cave" in an artifact! Nice
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

I am with josh on this one. I believe that is an artifact.
          Look carefully at the last picture, you can see clear thinning of a working edge.

Comment

Maybe it's a nice scraper?  :rolf:

Comment

Looks like a scraper with a quartz inclusion to me too. Interesting find!
              Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

I would call it a scraper as well with a pretty cool vug
                Southern Connecticut

Comment

Thanks alot for the comments. You folks are great  

Comment

Agreed, nice artifact and one of a kind....would cherish that piece!

Comment

Thanks Josh i am pretty new at this, does a "cave " mean a hole? and is  this a rare find?
                      I am also  a hillbilly born in southern West Virginia.

Comment

Cool find Laney it looks to me like they worked the center down.It looks concaved in the center.That and the fact it has the quartz inclusion makes it very unique....Hey if your gonna find a scraper it may as well be a cool one.There is sure to be more stuff there.Have fun!....mjm

Comment

The hole kind of small, but sure,cavity or whatever. Kind of like those geodes, i guess. It is nice

Comment

laneym wrote:

Thanks Josh i am pretty new at this, does a "cave " mean a hole? and is  this a rare find?
                            I am also  a hillbilly born in southern West Virginia.
                              Hi Laney
                            The "cave" is what is known geologically as a "vug"... a small natural cavity in the rock created by either expanding gas or the disappearance of a mineral (or sometimes decomposition of a fossil). The vug has then become lined with a secondary mineral, which in this case appears to be botryoidal chalcedony (a form of microcrystalline quartz).
                            I think it would be safe to assume that piece of material was selected for use as a scraper specifically because of that attractive feature as a desirable or even "special" item. These kinds of things are not rare but very nice to see, especially when they show signs that the maker attempted to show off the feature by manipulating it to a central position or thinning the material to give it more exposure.
                            It is indeed a nice find.
                            I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

I'm looking at the edge shot and I just don't see scraper. I will stand alone on this one: That's OK.  :laugh: An edge shot of the wide end might help. :dunno:
                              Michigan Yooper
                              If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Working...
                              X