Dinosaur Fin, Plant or rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dinosaur Fin, Plant or rock

Found this in the Arkansas River Bed Near Tulsa OK. I thought it was some kind of Fin with scales, it is tapered from front to back like a plane wing. Has anyone else found stuff like this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0931 [replaced].jpg
Views:	33
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	207093

Attached files 

Got me stumped :huh:
    Rhode Island

Comment

Very strange, whatever it is. Does it seem to be made of some kind of stone?  But IMO it is not a dinosaur fin.

Comment

Very unusual.  I see how it looks like a fin,  but I have no idea.
        South Dakota

Comment

sailorjoe wrote:

Very strange, whatever it is. Does it seem to be made of some kind of stone?  But IMO it is not a dinosaur fin.
            Doesn't feel like sand stone, does not seem like a soft rock. Its like picking up a dinner plate, Does seem to have an outer crust with a different colored core, the third pictures shows the under side, you can see a white spot on left side where the crust has wore away.

Comment

Dino sh!t would be one guess. corpolite proly miss spelled. But Roger will I am sure will know.
            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

My first impression was coprolite ( dino poop ) stepped on by either a Bigfoot, or a Solutrean hunter!
              http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

That’s an odd one isn’t it? Looks like it’s doing its best to be mistaken for a plesiosaur paddle. That wouldn’t be impossible for Oklahoma, but there’s really nothing about it beyond the general shape to suggest that. Note how unevenly spaced the crenellations are on the edge. Not at all what you would expect from a skeletal appendage. No evidence of bone structure either.
                My guess would be that the overall shape is no more than coincidental breakage of something sedimentary. The crenellations are characteristic of shrinkage from desiccation, followed by lithification, breakage and weathering or erosion. I think we’re looking at a fractured sheet of mudstone or siltstone. That kind of shrinkage is frequently seen in muds and silts which are rich in organic material deposited in water which has subsequently dried out or retreated. Also in compacted vegetation which rots and is compressed as it lithifies… fossil peat beds for example.
                I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Thanks everyone guess its another mother nature freaky rocks. I think i will drill a hole in the bottom and use it on my Flintstone's Mail Box as a flag.

Comment

Send email to your local universitys geological department. Might give you an answer. Just remain anonymous. First thing I thought was glyptodon but I was reading about paleo man hunting them weeks ago. Only thing I could think of with large shell.

Comment

Working...
                    X