Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it some kind of funky Kentucky side tang knife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it some kind of funky Kentucky side tang knife?

I know side tangs arent found in KY. But this is a funny looking blade. When I found it I thought it was a broke corner notch. But after I cleaned it up I noticed the blade symmetry seemed to favor one edge, and sure enough there is no sign of a tine on that side.

I would have to say it is a reworked point.  Looks like an ear broke,  and it was just resharpened into a small tool.
    South Dakota

Comment

What I see is not a corner notched point but a basal notched point. It is not uncommon to find basally notched points with long so-called "ears" or barbs to be broken. It seems in my case, that was more common than finding one which was not broken. There are several point types that have long "ears" or barbs as one of their distinguishing characteristics. Once a barb was broken it was often re-worked and this is what  I think I see here that you are showing. I think I have examples of what I mean and will see if I can show them to you. In my case, the points may not have been reworked.

Comment

Repaired Break?

Comment

Reworked barb. Nice find though.

Comment

Thanks for all the information. Basal notched points are fairly uncommon around here. I wonder how it would have been hafted?

Comment

By definition you have a tang knife. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tang_%28weaponry%29 But what is defined as what is considered a tang knife in artifacts has three different types Base tang, which has a slight lean from the cutting edge. A Corner tang, which as notches on both sides of a corner with the opposite side being the cutting edge and the last is the Side tang, where the other side is the knife edge. Any knife that is hafted in reality is a tang knife. I am sure I will get some flak but it is more to describe a region where they are prevalent such as Texas.
              Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Here some examples I've found

A base tang knife

A corner tang
                Both PF from Texas

Comment

Those are some true beauties clay. Thanks for showing them to me.
                  and thanks everyone else for the good information.

Comment

Working...
                  X