• Show
Clear All

• is this a hell gap point?

is this a hell gap point??  kinda looks like it

Not a HG. looks like a Yarborough.

Comment

garscale wrote:

Not a HG. looks like a Yarborough.
      Thanks Gar, No not a Hell Gap. But a county and state would help for ID.
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

chase, I found it in south central, il.......Shelby county.
        I thought maybe hell gap, but it may be def an archaic piece because I find a lot of archaic stuff on this particular site.

Comment

Not Hell Gap and not Yarborough either.
          Ray could probably help he is from Ill.  Your pictures are very blurry so it is hard to see flake patterns
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Foxkidd4444 wrote:

chase, I found it in south central, il.......Shelby county.
            I thought maybe hell gap, but it may be def an archaic piece because I find a lot of archaic stuff on this particular site.
            I was about three miles away from the Hell Gap site late last year I drove up with Dr. Frison. The Hell Gap is closer to the Hasket point of the Great basin.  Angastora. going mid west.  and Sedalia but all of them are Lanceolate type point.
            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

If you are asking an opinion from this forum IMO you need to post a pic in focus and one that shows something of the flaking technique that was used. Lots of points that are found in your area might fit in with what you are showing us which only shows a rough outline as to form. This would be a minimum of info that would be needed by most of us before offering an informed opinion of what you are showing.

Comment

Hard to tell from the photo but it kind of looks like an Adena point to me.

Comment

i'll try to get a better pic.....my daughter is the photographer.....I don't have camera skills at all.

Comment

No Hell Gap in Illinois. I would like to see a better pic also but from what I can make out I would think Kramer, late Archaic/early Woodland.
                    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

LOL! Well its not a Yarbourough either if its from illinois. i ould have bet it was a North Tx point.

Comment

tried to get some new pics but we are having a camera malfunction....i'll get them  up eventually.
                        my reason for asking if it's a hell gap, is because I found a point almost like it in the overstreet identification and price guide.
                        the book says edition 8 on the spine............the picture is on page 879.
                        def appreciate the help you guys are giving...........I have a fair collection that I've accumllated over the years...........but never really studied what I had.

Comment

Hey Foxkidd, Today the photo uploader isn't working but I hope you can post some clearer pictures. It can be a real trick sometimes to show the flake scars but that will help ID the point. When using your reference books pay special attention to the Location description. Location is always important when you are trying to Type a point. Even with that information typing a point is sometimes a best guess.
                          P.S. Welcome to the forum and you have a nice find there whatever type it is.
                          Michigan Yooper
                          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Working...
                          X