Best find of my life, help with ID please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best find of my life, help with ID please

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like DirtEDeeds.

I've never found anything this large myself, found pieces of such points but none fully intact. Found 10 broken bird points today, a broken bead and a whole bead, and a hammer stone. How this survived intact is beyond me being a field find and how it was missed in a heavily hunted area is a mystery.
    Help with ID would be appreciated. Was this a spear head or a knife? Type general age? Also I have never sold or even asked the price of an artifact before. I know the values are minimal and mainly sentimental. This however to me seems a bit different. I know old timers got such pieces but I hunt I know hard hard they are to come by now. Any clue on value on a piece like this.
    Bead finds. http://imgur.com/JGvNI3Qlue 

Deeds when posting a picture and  asking for information we need to know where you found it? What county and state please?  You cannot just tell us once either you have to say it every single time you post asking this type of question. Some of us are old and feeble minded si we cannot keep track of you young whipper snappers. We need to be reminded of stuff all the time. Dang where did I leave my glasses nope not in my pocket. Oh there they are I was wearing them all along. LOL \
    If your laughing good have a laugh because down the road sometime it will be your turn to be the old guy. You see if you are lucky and blessed then you get a  shot at the  wonderful thing called old age too!
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

PS nice beads too good eye brother. You will know when you are getting up to that old age thing I mentioned because the first thing to go is the eyes.
      I used to be able to tie a size 24 midge onto a 7x leader with no glasses. I could do that when I was 47 year old. Now I cannot do it even with glasses. Yup firt thing to go is the eyes. Happy Hunting brother
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

B) right on ! thats a beauty!
        call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

That sure is a nice artifact. I can understand your surprise to find that big thing intact.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Sure is a beauty.  Congrats on that one!

Comment

I forgot location. It's from Vonore TN area. I've never seen a big point whole so never tried to ID one. Cherokee and Mississippian Indians lived here pretty much with Natchez and few others in the past including paleo Indians.
              I get you on the old part. I'm just 37 but got a lot of miles. Not so much as good eye anymore but extreme patience while hunkered over in one spot. People miss a lot walking thru fast.
              Appreciate it. I'd love to know anything about it if anyone seen anything similar.

Comment

Nice one!  We have had the weather to bring a good one out of hiding for sure!
                With all the eye comments I can't help myself (my office)
                Drs. Jordan & Bondurant, PLLC is a skilled Optometrist in Union City, TN. Accepting new appointments. Call today or request an appointment on our website.

Comment

I'm by no means any good at typology but it is surely a knife with that shape from resharpening  and it has somewhat a Benton look to it with the side vs corner notch but the base is a little different than the Bentons I have.
                  Others will weigh in soon

Comment

It appears to have been longer at one time. The point is obviously repaired as the piece is very uuniform except the tip. It's so long and thin it just seems unreasonable for it to be a projectile.

Comment

Wow,  that's a good one.  Congrats
                      South Dakota

Comment

That's a dandy point you found. Your location near the confluence of the Little Tennesse River and the Tellico River is one of the richest archeological areas in the southeast. As to the type of point that you are showing us, I will make a WAG that I don't have much confidence in but just for the sake of kicking off a discussion as to type, it could be a Bakers Creek or a variant thereof. The short stem is not typical of Bakers Creek points and that is the main thing that is causing me a problem. Otherwise the general shape and form and flaking technique looks typical of Bakers Creek points. The bases of Bakers Creeks are usually straight but can be excurvate as is the one you have. It is very common to find points that can't be IDed to type and this may be the status of this one. A high percentage of points that I found were not identifiable to type.  It looks to have been made to use as a knife.

Comment

sailorjoe wrote:

That's a dandy point you found. Your location near the confluence of the Little Tennesse River and the Tellico River is one of the richest archeological areas in the southeast. As to the type of point that you are showing us, I will make a WAG that I don't have much confidence in but just for the sake of kicking off a discussion as to type, it could be a Bakers Creek or a variant thereof. The short stem is not typical of Bakers Creek points and that is the main thing that is causing me a problem. Otherwise the general shape and form and flaking technique looks typical of Bakers Creek points. The bases of Bakers Creeks are usually straight but can be excurvate as is the one you have. It is very common to find points that can't be IDed to type and this may be the status of this one. A high percentage of points that I found were not identifiable to type.  It looks to have been made to use as a knife.
                            Thanks. It is a great area. About any plowed field or garden near any water source produces. Sadly most is broken but this was a rare exception. It always amazes me at their skill and proliferation through this area. I can't imagine the numbers.

Comment

Beauty of a point Dirty and congrats on seeing those little beads. :woohoo:
                            Bruce
                            In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Looks like a nice big bakers creek to me. The expanded base and flaking is a dead give away.
                              here is a link to a recent bakers creek thread by sailor joe
                              Here's another point in my on and off again threads of some points from north Alabama. This point I am calling a Bakers Creek. It was found on a site not far...

Comment

Working...
                              X