hammerstones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hammerstones

these are some hard stones from my most productive site . i have a few more thats not as worn down as these i can include and if so has anyone seen or found any that are this worn

without pics that shows use wear
    then they are just stones

Comment

these pics dont show use of wear ?

Comment

jhill0962 wrote:

these pics dont show use of wear ?
          Not as seen. If used as hammerstones, the skin will be battered somewhere. The smooth skin or cortex will be battered wherever it was used as a hammerstone. If those show such wear, it is not apparent from the photos.
        Rhode Island

Comment

ok well i guess i dont know what they show then ill add some extra pics

Comment

and  a few more

Attached files 

Comment

i also included one pic in there with the smooth sides up

Comment

Well, I just wish your photos were in focus. I see some skin removed, some I can assume the result of battering, but that's where focus comes in. Some don't look like the loss of outer skin was from battering. In the one seen here, you can see the coarse texture of the battered surface in contrast to the smooth skin. I assume some of the ones you pictured are hammerstones, but photos in focus are best if judgement by photos is desired. Some, for instance, look like big sections of outer surface came off at once, not something you want if using as a hammer. So I am not certain about some that you show. Again, it's just difficult without sharp photographs.

Rhode Island

Comment

I would say that in your new set of photos, the first stone you're holding looks like a battered surface. Take photos in sunshine, let the camera focus a few times, if it's a point and shoot, before you push the shutter. That one looks like it was battered.
                  Rhode Island

Comment

I agree with Charlie.  Some could be,  but better pics are needed.   Thanks for sharing.  Everyone here appreciates people's  contributions.
                    South Dakota

Comment

i do need better pics the rock mentioned isnt as well worn as the others i think thats why it has more contrast and makes a better picture that shows up better

Comment

We could be a lot more help and may even see what your seeing but the pics don't help at all. Use the sunlight or indirect sunlight to highlight the areas you are trying to show us. And notice in your last bunch of photos, the camera is focusing on the palate, not the rocks.
                        Sometimes it's just hard.......................
                        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I can see pecking top picture top right stone looks like a hammer to me. I think Greg is right better lighting and in focus helps another thing that helps is something in the picture for size reference. Some of what I see in the other set of pictures is fire damaged  rock. The ones I circled look burnt to me. 

TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Looks like is was utilized where the arrow indicates.  That is a great picture too in focus but something for size reference would help too. 

TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

and just an add to this lots of stones look like they could be hammerstones....they are so many I now leave them lay or lay them up so someone else can find them...same with standard manos......I look up where I put them and say to myself should I bring it home this time...most are still there. Hammerstones are one of the hardest artifacts to say for sure thats what they are
                              I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Comment

Working...
                              X