Flute?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flute?

A fairly beat up base from a field. Wondering if this was a fluted point?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2 (4) [replaced].jpg
Views:	30
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	206137

Looks like one to me---but having the rest of the thing would help.

Comment

orari wrote:

Looks like one to me---but having the rest of the thing would help.
        Thanks for the reply orari.  It's too bad the rest isn't there.  Unfortunately most of the artifacts from this field are broken.

Comment

Looks like it might be the base of a fluted point. Nice find even broken.
        Rhode Island

Comment

It definitely appears that way.

Comment

I'm just playing devils advocate here, maybe the base is the other end and that's an impact fracture? Or a stack that got in the way?
            What does the other side look like?
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

gregszybala wrote:

I'm just playing devils advocate here, maybe the base is the other end and that's an impact fracture? Or a stack that got in the way?
              I side with Greg. maybe not an impact fracture. But the flute does not look right. Not enough of the artifact to tell. For sure a stack but how?
              Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

The other side should tell the story.
                South Dakota

Comment

gregszybala wrote:

The other side does not look like a flute to me.  What does it mean to have a flute on both sides?  I do have several points with impact fractures on the tip.  To me, this does not look like a tip, but a base, as it does have on ear intact on the one side.  I also have points with stacks on them but I'm not sure what the basal channel would be for?  I'm not really sure what I have here.

Comment

Interesting find wae, looks more like light basal thinning strikes as opposed to a true flute to me, just enough to help with hafting into a shaft. Thanks for showing it!
                    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

could we see a few more pics please?
                      one of the other side,and one straight  on to the  basal edge
                      it looks to me to be a basal thinning flake to me also,other pics may help to determine if its a flute or not

Comment

Kyflintguy wrote:

Interesting find wae, looks more like light basal thinning strikes as opposed to a true flute to me, just enough to help with hafting into a shaft. Thanks for showing it!
                          I don't know if I would call it light basal thinning.  I have several points with basal thInning.  Sometimes they almost look like a mini flute, lol.  If this is that it is pretty deep and wide relative to my other finds.  That's why at first I though it might have been something different.  There have been some early archaic points found on this site, so you never know.

Comment

the depth/width of a basal thinning flake is determined by the amount of material that is needed to be removed
                          to allow for proper hafting or just to straighten the base

Comment

sneakygroundbuzzard wrote:

the depth/width of a basal thinning flake is determined by the amount of material that is needed to be removed
                            . Thanks for this comment.  So can someone tell me what separates a basal thinning mark from a flute?  When I look at books flutes appear to be a wider, deeper, channels.  At what point are they different?  Don't they serve the same purpose?  Thanks again for everyone's comments.

Comment

[QUOTE]wae wrote:

Originally posted by sneakygroundbuzzard post=161463
                              . Thanks for this comment.  So can someone tell me what separates a basal thinning mark from a flute?  When I look at books flutes appear to be a wider, deeper, channels.  At what point are they different?  Don't they serve the same purpose?  Thanks again for everyone's comments.
                                I am no knapper but my take is that on a fluted piece the channel flake is driven off of a prepared platform. Basal thinning strikes require no such platform. I have looked at your pics a few times and really can't tell for sure but I am leaning not.
                              Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Working...
                              X