Limestone tool ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limestone tool ?

Found in western Kentucky, at a location I have found other artifacts. It's limestone rock that looks to me to be shaped and smoothed. Was limestone used for hard stone tools? When I think about an adze, limestone just don't pop in my head. Any ideas what this could be? Or. Iam I going to wind up in the I found a rock category,

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-19 [replaced].jpg
Views:	175
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	206055

Name:	image-20 [replaced].jpg
Views:	119
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	206056

Name:	image-21 [replaced].jpg
Views:	86
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	206057

Name:	image-22 [replaced].jpg
Views:	126
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	206058

Hey Josh, I think it's natural. Limestone chips and breaks too easy to be of much use. And it raises heck with my water pipes.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

It may have been used in working leather , it's  smooth for some reason .  It just don't feel like natural limestone.   They would had to rub the backs of the leather in the process  of makeing clothes.

Comment

I agree with Ron, it looks natural to me.
        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

I would tend to agree.  Natural
          South Dakota

Comment

Third pitcher down at the top it has an angle that has been ground , it may be hard to see in the pitcher but it's been handled before .  The pitcher doesn't do it justice.   It's been rubbed on something a lot.   Needs to be handled i guess.

Comment

I have to agree, it's a natural stone. Sorry.
              Southern Connecticut

Comment

JoshMathews wrote:

Third pitcher down at the top it has an angle that has been ground , it may be hard to see in the pitcher but it's been handled before .  The pitcher doesn't do it justice.   It's been rubbed on something a lot.   Needs to be handled i guess.
                  It's a rock. Doesn't needed to be handled.
                Had it been sandstone, you could look for evidence that it has been used as a whetstone. Not sure limestone was used in that fashion.
                Rhode Island

Comment

I've found some limestone pieces in context in rock shelters that I never could figure out why they were there.  The pieces I found had been used for something, for what, I still don't know.

Comment

Pestil, hand grinder made from limestone

Comment

Hey Josh, The longer pestle is a real nice one. Limestone is hard enough to grind maize. You might get a little stone powder mixed into your dinner but that's not as bad as some of the additives we get today. It would be easier to peck into shape than harder rocks.
                      Michigan Yooper
                      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

That third pic does look like it has a bevel on it...... and it's on the side it would be to use on the flat side...like a hide scraper..

I found this limerock "tool" while digging in sand for points. No other limerock or any other rock than chips. Not thin...
                        Professor Shellman
                        Tampa Bay

Comment

The limestone pastel I believe was used in a hominy hole.

Comment

Nice pestles
                            South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                            X