Broken arrowhead tip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken arrowhead tip?

Found this among a lot of other chip flint pieces. Wondering if it might be a tip broken off an arrowhead? It measures 1 inch long by 1/2 inch wide. Thanks!

If we could narrow this down to a culture, then it could be a tool just like it is. If Paleo, it could be a uniface side scraper/graver. Or the broken tip of a uniface tool type, side or end scraper. It's a tough call to say for sure.
    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

I found it in Southern Utah outside of Canyonlands, where I believe the Anasazi were historically. Is that correct?

Comment

Yes, that area would be closer to the Anasazi homelands. They lived in a large area covering the four states areas of S. Utah, Colorado, N. Arizona, and northern New Mexico. A little farther to south west Arizona is Hohokam territory, and the Mogollon people lived mostly in southern Ariz. down into Mexico. If your surface hunting in Anasazi territory, you should be finding decorated pottery shards. I don't know if the artifact in question would be Anasazi or not.
        http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

I don't see evidence of its use as a finished tool. Perhaps a broken preform that was on its way to be something but never finished. No way to assign it to any particular culture or time period.

Comment

Okay thanks for the input. I appreciate the information that it is a worked piece. I am trying to develop a better eye when out searching. With this trip I found several more pieces that I will post for feedback. There were no pottery shards found at this sight.

Comment

Broken tip thanks for sharing!
              Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Nice thanks!

Comment

definitely worked
                  and definitely broken

hard to tell from the pic,but looks like it may be made from basalt
                  which if it is would explain why it broke
                  basalt can be knapped,and makes some very sharp points/tools
                  but is also delicate,breaks very easily if not supported perfectly while knapping it
                  my debitage pile is full of broken basalt pieces that look like that

Comment

Yes, it appears a more fragile rock. It was the only piece of it's color and consistency that I found among others in the same area. The others are more the harder flint type material. I will post some of them to see what you think. Thanks for the feedback and information!

Comment

Working...
                    X