are these cores or preforms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are these cores or preforms?

I found these in my backyard in some river gravel that was brought in last year. I think the gravel probably came from near Weberville, TX right on the Colorado River just downstream from Austin The small one on the top left is pretty obvious to me with the shape and notch at the base. They all have multiple facets that look pretty obviously worked to me, esp the top three, but I'm a relative newbie and wanted some opinions.

I'll also post a couple of recent finds from the neighborhood and also from a friend's ranch in Mills County, TX.

There is nothing in the pictures that strongly indicates any work by man. I guess I don't see the notch you are referring to. If I had them in my hand as do you then I might come to the same conclusion as you. Coming from a sand and gravel operation there is no telling what you have. There is a lot of chert in the sedimentary formations in the Austin area and I expect this may be what originally came from those sedimentary layers in the surrounding hills. If the edges showed any secondary retouch in the photos then I would be inclined to agree with you, but seeing none It looks like some broken chert.

Comment

They all appear to have several flakes taken off vertically leaving them each with 5-6 facets and a convex shape is what makes me think they weren't naturally occurring chips. Total noob here, though. Here are a few pics in hand that will hopefully show the shape a little better. And also some of the base notch on the smallest one.

Comment

They look like the right material, and could be waste flakes. I see you have one point there.
        South Dakota

Comment

mostly looks like debitage to me,but yes there is one point in there

i could show you buckets full of stuff that looks like that

Comment

Working...
          X