2 points from Mills County, TX and 2 from Austin, TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 points from Mills County, TX and 2 from Austin, TX

Is the rough one a preform or just a rough example? I've looked through my "Native Artifacts of Texas" guide and don't see any with this same basic shape which makes me think it is a preform or some other type of tool. And the small one is maybe a damaged Scallorn, or...? Found both of these on the surface within about 20' of each other on a friend's ranch. They have a scenic overlook on their ranch that looks across the Colorado River valley for 10-15 miles and I can certainly imagine native people sitting up there and repairing their gear while enjoying the view. Quite a few points have been found on this ranch, but I am just now getting seriously interested in looking for them.

The broken knife blade (I assume knife vs. point due to the asymmetry) and broken base were found in my neighborhood on private property with owner's permission. Not enough there for me to ID, but I welcome any opinions from those who might recognize them.

the second one(3rd-4th pics) is a point for sure
    the rest looks like debitage to me
    not the best pics to tell for sure

Comment

I'll learn to take some better photos. All but the first one look to be finished points, thin and convex shape, with plenty of fine edge work, too. Just broke pieces found on the surface after recent rains. The first one has rough edge work but also plenty of shaping and was found a few feet from the brown one in an area where many points have been found on a private ranch.

Can anyone confirm if the mostly whole point is a Scallorn?

Comment

Working...
      X