Anyone have an idea on this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have an idea on this?

I found this last week in an area that is suspect held a large camp at one time. It appears to have been shaped and flaked and is of the material commonly used in my location.
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Does look like a scraper. This a creek find or field? Just asking because of the wear.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

It was a field Greg and although it is small I saw it from about 10 ft away due to its shine. It does seem to have a sort of polish to it that would indicate a creek find. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Hey Baba, Nice end scraper. It looks like it was snapped off on the proximal end. It's common for these to be snapped off where they fit into the socketed haft.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Thanks Ron. I was thinking that small end looked like it had been broken off as opposed to knapped that way.

Comment

beautiful scraper

Comment

Nice find thanks for sharing. A very cool scraper.
              Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Not sure what it is in the condition but has defenitly been work by hand. Actually looking at it more look like a broken point to me I've been told there was a period where Indians didn't care about craftmanship and would make points that weren't pretty but functional. This could be one of those for sure in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by CreekWalker84 View Post
                  Not sure what it is in the condition but has defenitly been work by hand. Actually looking at it more look like a broken point to me I've been told there was a period where Indians didn't care about craftmanship and would make points that weren't pretty but functional. This could be one of those for sure in my opinion.
                  This has been done though the ages Flake knives are a perfect example. simple yet effective.
                  Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Working...
                  X